Monitor has no signal at GPU but works at On Board Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2017
Basically I tried turning my computer on and everything works, there's power in the peripherals. LED's in the GPU and all that but the monitor has no signal and stayed in black screen. I tried removing the HDMI and plugging it back in but it still says "HDMI has no signal". I have done a lot of research before asking here but unfortunately no luck.
Things I've tried:
- Removing all the screws all the way to the motherboard stands and plugging everything back in.
- Removing the CMOS Battery for a few minutes and putting in back in.
- Removing the RAM and inserting it on the other slot.
- Tried both the HDMI slots on the GPU as well as on the monitor.

By the way, it did boot up when I plugged it in the On Board Graphics and I got into the BIOS.
I already changed the settings where the PC will utilize the GPU instead of the On Board.
I also disabled the On Board's driver and everything.

Another note is while the PC turns on the LED DEBUG on VGA lits up for a few seconds in the motherboard.

Currently the PC is on and is connected on the On Board Graphics while the GPU is still plugged in and also seems to be on due to the LED on it being lit.

What I think is either the GPU or the PCIE slot is broken, I will probably try the video card in my friend's computer but I won't be able to do it today so I will have to ask you guys first and maybe you can help me fix it before then.

My PC Build:
CPU - i5 6400
GPU - Sapphire Nitro RX 470
MOBO - MSI H110M PRO-VH
RAM - Crucial Ballistix 1x8gb
PSU - Corsair VS550
Monitor - BenQ RL2455hm

TL;DR - PC turns on but the HDMI has no signal which causes the monitor to stay black.
Note: I know that this problem is very common but none of the suggestions seems to work.

Solution
If different GPU works, and it consumes similar amount of power as your 470, I would say PSU is not guilty. Besides, failing PSU usually causes problems during work, not at start. Also, since other GPU worked, PCIe slot on motherboard must be working too.
So, all points toward failed GPU.
Aug 30, 2017

Yes, I am currently using my computer via On Board Graphics while the GPU is seated in the PCIE slot. I hope the GPU isn't dead as it hasn't even lasted for a year. I'll maybe try that tomorrow if my friend will let me

Aug 30, 2017
Update: I opened HWMonitor and Device Manager and the GPU isn't there even if it's plugged in and currently turned on, is this normal since I am using the OnBoard Graphics? Shouldn't it at least get detected if it's inserted?

Well, that's the whole point. You could not get display via iGPU if motherboard would detect GPU (unless you set certain settings in BIOS to work this way). The fact, that you get display from motherboard alone tells that your GPU is not detected. As stated above, it's only possible if GPU failed, is not receiving power from PSU or motherboard slot failed.

Aug 30, 2017
Updated: Tried plugging in a different card and it works. Also it turns out my brother was playing in the middle of the game before the GPU loses the HDMI signal. I didn't know this since I was in school at the time.
I also saw this thread which is very similar to my situation http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3206849/monitor-loses-signal-begin-playing-game.html,
is it also possible that my PSU is the one that's failing?

If different GPU works, and it consumes similar amount of power as your 470, I would say PSU is not guilty. Besides, failing PSU usually causes problems during work, not at start. Also, since other GPU worked, PCIe slot on motherboard must be working too.
So, all points toward failed GPU.

Solution

totung1235

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018

For me, my MSI 1060 3GB had the exactly same problem like that. I just use MSI afterburner to config( increasing) the voltage supply for my OC card and it ran well until now. I think it can help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS