[SOLVED] Monitor Help, Bad cable or dying display?

May 9, 2020
I have a very old Dell SE198WFP that I found stored in my basement. For the past 5 months I've been using it as a second monitor plugged into my RTX 2070 super via a VGA/HDMI adapter. Over the past week or so this display has been acting up. When I turn my pc on and it boots up, the computer doesn't find the display. The only way it turns on is if I unplug it from the pc and plug it back in. In addition, the display now has a bar going across the top portion of the screen that is lighter color than the rest of the display (photo attached). When I move a window into that part of the display, it moves very slow and looks very glitchy. I'm using the original VGA cable that came with this monitor. I'd rather not spend money on a different monitor if I don't have to as I don't need anything fancy for a second display. My main 144hz gaming monitor is operating just fine and has had no problems.

Link to image of monitor issue: View: https://imgur.com/a/BaK4Qn6

Solution
Take the display and plug it to a donor system off an iGPU or an APU and see if the issue persists on the donor system. If it does, then it can be a panel issue or a cable issue. Use a different known working cable to connect the display to said donor system to rule out a faulty cable.

To rule out a faulty driver, use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and source the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site. Install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

You can also check and see if your motherboard has BIOS updates pending.

Lutfij

Titan
Take the display and plug it to a donor system off an iGPU or an APU and see if the issue persists on the donor system. If it does, then it can be a panel issue or a cable issue. Use a different known working cable to connect the display to said donor system to rule out a faulty cable.

To rule out a faulty driver, use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and source the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site. Install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

You can also check and see if your motherboard has BIOS updates pending.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS