Question Monitor help

SLoBRoDTP

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
So I'm in a bit of pickle here. I'm thinking about upgrading to a new monitor but I cant seem to make up my mind. Originally I was going to keep my BenQ 27" 1440p 144hz (XL2730Z) and buy a Acer Predator 32" 4k 60hz (xb321hk) but then I though maybe I should sell the BenQ and just keep the Acer Predator and just drop resolution for those more demanding games since i can overclock up to 180hz on lower resolution on the predator. Then a new idea after watching a video from linusrech comparing different refresh rates on different resolution monitors. Maybe I should sell my BenQ and forget the Acer Predator and instead buy a Dell 34" ultra wide 1440p 120hz monitor ( aw3418dw). Looking for some help the BenQ is obviously used the Acer Predator would be refurbished by Acer and the Dell would be new. I'm upgrading my GPU to an EVGA RTX 2080 ti FTW3 ultra so I can only spend so much after buying the card hence the refurbished predator since new would be $900-1000

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
I would go with 1440p, why would you spend all that money on a gpu to be held back to 60hz? 1440P UP CLOSE IS THE SAME AS 4K. The optimal viewing distance for 4k is 7-15ft. Unless you are going to play 7-15 feet away from your monitor then 1440p 120hz makes total sense. :] It will play better and look the same as 4k.

SLoBRoDTP

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
I was hoping for more than just 1 reply really looking for input here but after the 1 reply I got I'm now more considering a dell 34" ultra wide 1440p. I've also looked up more videos comparing 4k 60hz to ultra wide higher refresh rates but c'mon guys looking for more opinions I get my refund $ this Thursday lol

I would suggest going to a local store and see for yourself what is better. It's largely opinion based. Some people like ultrawide more, others like widescreen more. Some people prefer higher res, others are fine with lower res (and in this case the trade off for high hz). But res is only part of the issue as ppi is dependent on monitor size. So a 1080p 24" could be the "same" as a 4k 48". 1440p up close is not the same as 4k. There is a huge difference with 1440p 27" vs 4k 32". Optimal viewing distance for 4k at 7-15ft is ridiculous. The whole point of higher res is the fidelity with a close viewing angle. This is why phones are a lot higher ppi. The same concept still applies to any display. The optimal distance is when your face isn't in the screen and you can see it all (although some like larger for immersion) and not too far away that you can see what you are doing or wasting the larger screen space. The only reason to be 7ft+ away is when it's a low res display so you aren't seeing big pixels but for some that doesn't even bother them. Everything is all personal preference.

Personally, I don't like ultrawide. It's good for movies or games which prefer wider fov like racing games vs multi monitor setups but for my uses, I prefer to game on 16:9 and have extra monitors. My field of view isn't narrow so 16:9 fills my view more and I go with higher res larger screens for immersion. Higher hz is nice for having a smoother video but I'm fine with a stable 60hz even if it's not as smooth. Maybe later I would have both but right now it's expensive and gpus aren't as powerful as I'd like to pull it off.

TRENDING THREADS