Monitor ignores HDMI port

daimer

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
I've got a somewhat old LG IPS LED 22MP55 monitor that has one VGA and one HDMI ports.

When trying to connect only a new gtx1060 to it through hdmi, the monitor won't even detect any input. Cable is new and tested on an unrelated TV device where it worked properly.

When connecting the old pc gfx card through vga and the new pc one through hdmi, the monitor sort of attempts to acknowledge that there is a connection through hdmi but after a minute it shuts down with no signal.

Trying to switch over display modes with both PC's on makes the monitor to only acknowledge the vga port from the older computer gfx, never accessing the hdmi input from the new one.

I'm sitting here with a new pc without OS and no display signal. It's a ryzen, so integrated graphics are not an option. I'm not new at building PC's. The 1060 is powered by the PSU, fans do spin and so on. There's no issue on any of the components status leds either (b350m mortar mobo). Pretty positive it's posting just fine. I just have no display.

Some searching through the net has told me that this monitor only seems to recognize its hdmi port IF there's an active vga connection at the same time and they're both used in the same PC, which sounds pretty stupid outside of a dual screen setup scenario. Why wouldn't a monitor detect a single connection through hdmi? My issue is pretty much identical to http://bit.ly/2AkQuS3 (see reply)

The monitor's official guide includes pretty hilarious tips such as "connecting a pc through hdmi might be incompatible" or "using dvi to vga adapters might cause compatibility issues". Like "you can do this but it might not work. Deal with it".

Would you have any idea or recommendation outside of straight up switching to a newer monitor?

daimer

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
I get that VGA is analog but I don't understand why a straight hdmi cable from the card to the monitor's hdmi port does not work at all and goes undetected. Do these adapters to vga lose bandwidth through the conversion? Is that noticeable in performance if you get to use the card to its full power?

daimer

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
Narrowed the issue down to one of the two acquired ram modules being faulty and causing the display issues. Direct Hdmi connection between gfx and monitor does now work fine. Ty for your contribution either way. Thread can be closed.