[SOLVED] Monitor Intermittently goes black for 1-3 seconds

whooshkoosh

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015
Im having a problem with my monitor display that seems to only happen when gaming, sometimes more frequently than others. I never had this problem until today and I just bought a new monitor. The monitor is the new BenQ XL2730z and I bought it to run games in FreeSync at high frames. I also had to download the AMD Beta drivers for my 290x to be able to run FreeSync. What happens is when my computer is what I'm assuming is under load now my screen will go black for anywhere from 1-3 seconds or so, but the game and everything still runs while it's black and when it comes back its as if nothing ever happened. I am using DisplayPort and have tried running at 144hz and 120hz refresh rates with the same problem. The monitor native resolution is 2560x1440, much larger than my old 19 inch monitor at 1440x900. Any help would be appreciated. I have never had a single problem with this build until today after installing the new monitor.

Solution
Sounds exactly like the problem I had which I solved by opening the AMD Radeon Settings, click on Display and make sure Scaling Mode is set to Full Panel rather than Preserve Aspect Ratio. Took several days of cursing to finally get it - hope this works for you.
This sounds like a power issue to the monitor. I do not believe it is due to the GPU as you had no previous issue.

I would make sure that the power cable to the monitor is fully inserted into the power outlet, or better yet into a surge protector. It should also be fully inserted into the monitor at the other end. The connecting cable from the GPU to the monitor should also be fully inserted at both ends.

whooshkoosh

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015
This was not the case. All connections are good between PC to monitor and monitor to my surge protector. Like I said this only happens when gaming and generally only under graphic intensive conditions, like when I'm playing WoW on ultra settings. Other games like CS:GO rarely cause these "blackouts". My GPU temps aren't getting very high at all. I have a very large and cool case and under load the GPU doesn't get much higher than 50c. The only thing I can think of is that I don't have access to the "drivers" that came with my monitor because I dont have an external media drive on my computer and BenQ does not have them available on their website. I have clean-wiped my video drivers and reinstalled them clean and the problem is still there. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

My system specs are:
Windows 8.1
PowerColor 290x Video Card
Intel i7 5820 Processor
16gigs DDR4 2666 Gskill Ripjaws
750w EVGA PSU

whooshkoosh

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015
Is it safe to use firmware for a different monitor? They specifically mention that using the firmware updates can cause unexpected problems and it may void the warranty.

NOOOOOOOO!

Only use the correct firmware, as this will totally mess up the monitor.

whooshkoosh

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015

That's what I thought. I already tried running the other piece of software that they offer and all it does is provide support for partitioning the screen and setting custom display profiles to use for on the fly profile swapping which was of no help.

CSGOr3aL

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
Sorry for the necro bump but I am having the same issues and was wondering if you ever got this problem solved or if anyone else is having this issue.

J-Bryan

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016
any one figured this out im having the same problem, with the same monitor. Using hdmi (60hz) it works perfectly but using the display port (144hz) I get this 1-3 sec random black screen. a solution will be greatly appreciated thanks

gonzohop

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016
Sounds exactly like the problem I had which I solved by opening the AMD Radeon Settings, click on Display and make sure Scaling Mode is set to Full Panel rather than Preserve Aspect Ratio. Took several days of cursing to finally get it - hope this works for you.

Solution
Sep 15, 2019
i tried this and it didnt work i have been trying different things for over 6 months and nothing works i know this is a little late but i really need help

Andrei97

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
Im pretty late but it could be helpful.
I just solved the same problem by disabling the FreeSync. Idk if it would be the same for the GSyncs. Hope it helps someone!

TRENDING THREADS