Monitor is black and switches between HDMI and Analog

Apr 22, 2018
Hi, I know there is another thread that dealt with this topic but its over a year old and i want to make sure that I have exhausted all my options before i accept my fate.

I have a 2 year old S24D590PL monitor and it has happened twice now that after I shut it down and boot it the following day that the monitor stays black and alternates between HDMI and Analog before going completely black again. The first time this happened it randomly decided to work again for a few days up until this morning.

As far as I can tell the issue shouldnt be with the monitor, as it works fine when i connect my laptop. So far I have repeated the steps I took when i first encountered this issue, namely removing all the cables, hard resetting my PC, cleaning the fan of my graphics card (which i believe to be a GeForce gtx 800) as well as hooking up my hdmi cable to what i believe to be the onboard graphics card (i havent previously needed to use this).

Is there anything else I can try before I go out and buy a new graphics card (as i am assuming it must be the graphics card)?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Solution
I would borrow (even a ten-year old) GPU from a friend, to confirm that your PC boots, and the problem is with GPU. The fact that NumLock does not toggle makes me worried, for sure. Try with CapsLock as well. Or plug a USB key, and listen for "Device discovered" sound
Apr 22, 2018
Thank you for the reply. Yes, when i tested it with my laptop i used the same hdmi cable as i usually use with my PC.
I tried your suggestion with pressing shift and cant say that i hear a clear "click". However when i plug in my keyboard the "Num/Caps/Scroll" keys light up. Im not sure how reliable that is, because i cant seem to to toggle the numpad or the capslock.
to the point of the pc running, i can clearly hear and see the fans running, also the fan of my graphics card in question.

I would borrow (even a ten-year old) GPU from a friend, to confirm that your PC boots, and the problem is with GPU. The fact that NumLock does not toggle makes me worried, for sure. Try with CapsLock as well. Or plug a USB key, and listen for "Device discovered" sound

Solution