Question Monitor is picking up HDMI, as DVI and showing limited resolution, how do I fix it?

kylebass4

Reputable
Dec 18, 2018
Question: How do I make my monitor (ASUS VH238) realize the connection type is HDMI, and not DVI?

As stated in the title, my monitor (ASUS VH238) is connected to my pc using an HDMI cable but is reading it has DVI. Normally the monitor is 1920x1080, but currently it's limited to 1024x768 or 800x600. I have had the monitor for years and I have not had any hardware changes for the last 2 years. I have two of the ASUS VH238, but only one is giving the issue.

When the issue started:
I updated my motherboard BIOS to Version 2601 from Version 0607 using the ASUS AI Suite 3 built in BIOS Flasher. This is when I started having the monitor issue and I had long load times and a bit of freezing for Windows 10, reverted the BIOS to Version 2403 in hopes that fixed both issues. It fixed the freezing and load issues but not the monitor being picked up as DVI on the HDMI input. I even tried upgrading to windows 11 in hopes that it was a corrupt windows 10 file that wasn't found using sfc, DISM, or chkdsk.

What I have tried:
  • New HDMI Cable
  • New HDMI port (motherboard)
  • Multiple Display ports (GPU using a connector (Display source to HDMI))
  • Power cycling
  • Leaving it unpowered for 8 hours
  • New HDMI connection to my laptop (detected on windows 10, but monitor does not respond to any setting changes)
  • Windows recovery (before upgrading to windows 11)
  • Custom resolution, at best just makes a blurry 1920x1080 image and resets when pc is powered off

Hardware specs & Monitors
CPU: I9-10900k
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce
Motherboard: ROG Strix Z490-E gaming
2x ASUS VH238 (Only one of these has the issue)
1x Dell AW2518H

TRENDING THREADS