Monitor is stuck in sleep mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baloney007

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
Hi all,

My monitor appears to be stuck in sleep/power-saver mode despite the pc apparently functioning properly otherwise. (No abnormal beeps, other peripherals seem ok, usb wireless adapter connects to router presenting computer name)

I've tried the following:

-restarting the system
-using a different monitor, different cords (known to be working)
-removing all peripherals, power cord and held power button for ten seconds to release residual power
-removed graphic card and used integrated graphic card to connect monitor
-removed and re-installed all ram
-reset CMOS and tried connecting using integrated graphic card (Thanks RaDiKaL_)

All of which did not solve my problem. Any additional thoughts regarding how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated as im out of ideas.

Thanks

PC Specs

amd athelon 64 3500+
2gb DDR2 ram
ati radeon HD4650 1gb DDR2
Asus A8N-LA motherboard with integrated Nvidia Geforce 6150 LE
windows 8
(I've been running windows 8 for about six months on this pc with no problems up to this point)

Solution
If it's reaching to windows (plug in some speakers so you can hear the logon sound to be sure of it) while using a different known working monitor then your GPU is the problem, you said you tried to also boot using the IGP, maybe your BIOS is set to only boot from PCI-E instead of trying both methods, try clearing your mobo CMOS to restore default settings, this way it should boot using the IGP.

Also please post your pc specs.

Baloney007

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013

No display at all, a completely black screen. The monitors power light is blinking, as it does when it is in sleep mode.

When the monitor is powered yet disconnected from the pc, it works fine. All menus and functions work properly, only when it is connected to pc that it appears to be in sleep mode..

Same goes for the other monitor i connected to the pc

That is exactly what i think! It's not a monitor problem, it's a PC problem.

Baloney007

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013

only the standard beep, no beeps out of the ordinary
yes, pc appears to be reaching windows however i can only assume so since i cant see.

I powered the pc and gave it a few minutes to reach windows and then plugged in my wireless adapter to see if the pc was being connected to router. I figured if it didnt connect that would indicate a problem, however it connected as usual.

If it's reaching to windows (plug in some speakers so you can hear the logon sound to be sure of it) while using a different known working monitor then your GPU is the problem, you said you tried to also boot using the IGP, maybe your BIOS is set to only boot from PCI-E instead of trying both methods, try clearing your mobo CMOS to restore default settings, this way it should boot using the IGP.

Also please post your pc specs.

Solution

Baloney007

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013

amd athelon 64 3500+
2gb DDR2 ram
Radeon HD 4650 1gb DDR2
Integrated Nividia Geforce 6150 le
200gb hard drive
windows 8
If i have omitted any info you require please let me know
Thanks you for taking the time to look at this!

Baloney007

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013

Im using Windows 8 and i believe start ups sounds are disabled by default.

I just removed battery from CMOS for a couple minutes and tried using integrated on start up, however problem still persists. Is there a better way to reset cmos then removing the battery?

Thanks for all the help

Usually there's a jumper that you can use to reset CMOS in 30 seconds or less, look for it in your mobo manual if you can't find it.

The exact model of your mobo would be useful, did your pc worked before with no problems with windows8 installed or it happened right after installing it? most old mobos are not compatible with windows 8 though I guess some of them do work with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.