Question Monitor is turning on and off randomly with RTX 3070 ?

Sep 26, 2020
I recently purchased a brand new founders edition rtx 3070 and just received it in the mail today. After clearing my past amd drivers, I reinstalled the gpu into my system and got it to boot. Then, I updated to the latest drivers and everything seemed almost good to go. However, when navigating around, every few seconds my monitor would turn off for around half to 1 second and suddenly turn back on. I took a closer look and realized that occasionally the fans on my 3070 would also turn off.

I'm not too sure why this is happening but my theory is that it has something to do with my current pcie cable. I currently have one of those dual 6 pin cables with one of them having an extra 2 pin addon (6 +2, 6). On the sleeves I read a label saying that it's 300 watts which should be plenty for my 3070 (220 watts). Previously, I would have both 6 pins plugged in and considered that possibly that only having one of the 6 pins connected isn't delievering enough power for the 3070 . In addition, it tends to black screen whenever I alt tabbed (haven't tested any games/other activities yet). All the other components in my system are functioning as of right now (currently swapped out 3070 for my old card). What are your inputs or thoughts on this?

TLDR: Rtx 3070 problem where it boots and runs but randomly turns off.

Specs:
Ryzen 7 2700
16 gb 3200 g skill ram
asrock b450 pro4
rtx 3070
Coolermaster 1200 watt silent pro gold rated

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS