Question Monitor keeps randomly going black while still on

Mar 15, 2023
Hello, so I am having an issue where my monitor keeps going black every so often, it seems the longer I leave it on the more frequent it occurs as well. I have tried using different cables, ports, and even a different monitor to no avail. I have an older second monitor that uses a DVI-D cable that is working fine, but when using a similar cable on my other monitor the issue still continues so I'm wondering if its an issue with my power supply or my graphics card. My keyboard also was having some issues being recognized and turning off too but that has been much less consistent, so I'm not fully sure if that's connected. I believe the issue started as well after the power had gone out while my pc was still on so there may have been some damage done, but not enough to stop it from working.

My specs are:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-core
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x16GB 2400Mhz
Graphics: Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
SSD: Crucial M550 256GB
PSU: Corsair TX750

Last edited:
Hello, so I am having an issue where my monitor keeps going black every so often, it seems the longer I leave it on the more frequent it occurs as well. I have tried using different cables, ports, and even a different monitor to no avail. I have an older second monitor that uses a DVI-D cable that is working fine, but when using a similar cable on my other monitor the issue still continues so I'm wondering if its an issue with my power supply or my graphics card. My keyboard also was having some issues being recognized and turning off too but that has been much less consistent, so I'm not fully sure if that's connected. I believe the issue started as well after the power had gone out while my pc was still on so there may have been some damage done, but not enough to stop it from working.

My specs are:
If your psu died well the system was running it's most likely a faulty mobo, the mobo is the most common thing to short and gather a mass amount of issues when a psu fails.

My specs are:
Have you tried verifying your bios and everything else is up to date?

Mar 15, 2023
If your psu died well the system was running it's most likely a faulty mobo, the mobo is the most common thing to short and gather a mass amount of issues when a psu fails.
The psu didn't die, it still powers on and seems to work fine, but I'm not sure if its just not running on full capacity and maybe that's why its causing problems?

Have you tried verifying your bios and everything else is up to date?
I've checked all the drivers but I haven't tried updating my bios, I'll give that a try and see.

Edit: updated BIOS and still having the issue.

Last edited:
The psu didn't die, it still powers on and seems to work fine, but I'm not sure if its just not running on full capacity and maybe that's why its causing problems?

I've checked all the drivers but I haven't tried updating my bios, I'll give that a try and see.

Edit: updated BIOS and still having the issue.
Have you checked the refresh rate of the monitor? Some have issues being set to to low of a Hz and or to high of a Hz try changing the refresh rate see if any changes happen

Mar 15, 2023
Have you checked the refresh rate of the monitor? Some have issues being set to to low of a Hz and or to high of a Hz try changing the refresh rate see if any changes happen
I tried on all 60, 59.940, and 50 as well as interlaced and to no avail as well. The monitor in question as well is BenQ GW2480, though its been working fine for a few years and I tried a similar monitor from a friend and still had the issue.

Yes they're all on 1920 by 1080 which is the recommended. With everything I've tried I just don't believe its something to do with the monitor.
Sounds like the issue lays with in the gpu at this point or psu isn't strong enough, to deteriorated and not sending proper volts. Have you checked to make sure the "GPU" BIOS/FIRMWARE are up to date not the drivers of the card the bios and firmware basically two in one update.

Mar 15, 2023
Sounds like the issue lays with in the gpu at this point or psu isn't strong enough, to deteriorated and not sending proper volts. Have you checked to make sure the "GPU" BIOS/FIRMWARE are up to date not the drivers of the card the bios and firmware basically two in one update.
I did update the bios as you had recommended earlier but hadn't checked the firmware, after trying to update it it said I am up to date and the issue is still occurring. So looks like I will have to try switching parts.

Edit: So got a friend of mine's gpu and switched them, the issue still continued so I'm gonna buy another psu and try it out and see if that fixes it.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023
If your monitor keeps going black randomly, while still turned on, it could indicate a hardware or software issue. Here are some possible causes and solutions:
  1. Loose or faulty cables: Check all the cables connecting your monitor to your computer, including the power cable, VGA, DVI, or HDMI cable. Ensure that they are securely connected and not damaged.
  2. Power saving settings: Your monitor may be set to power off after a certain period of inactivity. Adjust the power saving settings to disable this feature or increase the timeout period.
  3. Outdated drivers: Check if your monitor's drivers are up to MyPennMedicine date. Outdated drivers can cause issues with the display, including flickering or black screens. Go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers.
  4. Overheating: Ensure that your monitor is well ventilated and not overheating. If the monitor is placed in a closed space, such as a cabinet, it may not get adequate airflow.
  5. Malware or viruses: It's possible that malware or viruses are causing the issue. Scan your computer with a reputable antivirus program to detect and remove any threats.
If none of these solutions work, you may need to contact the manufacturer or a professional technician for further assistance.

TRENDING THREADS