CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K
GPU: Geforce GTX 1080 8GB
MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero
RAM: G.Skill 32GB (2 x16gb)
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 550w
Storage: PNY 240GB SSD
Western Digital 1TB
[If you're wondering why I have two builds, I live between two homes]
Okay, to begin this whole extravaganza I finished a night of gaming and the next day when I turned it on I noticed something strange. When I would power on my PC (PC#1) my monitor was not detecting (I tried DVI, Display Port, and HDMI, still nothing). What was also strange was that my mouse and keyboard also wouldn't light up/turn on. However I had another thing (Astro Headset Adapter) plugged into the USB port of my motherboard and it seemed to be getting power just fine. I took it to a computer store where they tested the voltage and we ruled out that voltages on the 650w were normal levels. When we went to look at some other things on the computer it failed to post just as before. for the rest of my visit at the computer store we used a 1000w PSU and with this PSU it seemed to be running just fine leading me to believe it was my PSU that was the issue.
some notes: All of the lights and fans of every component were operating just fine, so for sure everything is getting power.

One thing that may or may not be important is that i had recently upgraded from a ryzen 5 to ryzen 7 and when we were in the bios it was reaching about 80°c , the employee then informed me that my cpu was essentially fried so i chose to swap back to my old Ryzen 5. Because i didnt think id ever used the Ryzen 5 again i left it out in the open on top of a paper towel, so idk if it can be damaged from too much exposure to oxygen (yes i know that sounds stupid but im not an expert)

Before I begin with part two of this I have to say I cant remember 100% all the tests and their outcomes because I was working on this for about 6 hours!!! but i do have a really good idea of what the outcomes were

This brings me to today when i decided id get this problem knocked out. I went to the other house i live at where I have my PC#2 at (this PC had no issues before). I decided the first test i was going to do was completely swap the PSUs. I found that the 650w PSU worked just fine and my computer was able to boot with it no problem and my peripherals lit up. If I remember correctly the 550w inside of PC#1 (not its original PSU) was not able to make the computer boot and peripherals light up,(but this isnt the correct wattage needed for this PC so i swapped back the PSU)
this led me to believe that maybe I was having a RAM issue so i decided to swap the sticks.

when I swapped the RAM I was able to make PC #1 work but then PC #2 stopped working. (monitor detects and peripherals light, computer is posting)
I honestly cant remember all the combinations i tried but it was alot of swapping ram to see what combos work. I tried leaving only one stick in, two original sticks , 1 ram from each computer etc.
Long story short both computers had all their original parts but my pc#2 was having the same exact problems that my PC #1 was having from the very beginning. With One Pc (PC 1) now fixed and one now unusable (pc2) i was somewhat happy to even have a pc working at all. so i decided to head back to my other house. When i plugged everything in I found that again both PC's were not working (monitor not detecting, and peripherals not lighting up)

Im unable to go any further with the knowledge I have and im waiting til the computer store opens tomorrow on monday but thought itd be a good idea to post a thread and see if anyone can help me with this. i can send any photos needed and try anything people recommendations, i just want to get back to gaming asAP, which would mean both PCs working.

PC#1 is for my moms house and PC#2 is for my dads if it makes it easier differentiating the two homes. so I went from my moms to my dads to do all this work, to back to my dads. any help is appreciated thank you!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS