Monitor loses signal and GPU fan goes to max speed while gaming

wyverald

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
Hi -- this is a question that has been asked here a few times but I just wanted to confirm whether it's my PSU that's the problem (it's been mentioned a few times in the other threads).

My build (full list: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/cP4tcc)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: GTX 1060 3GB
PSU: Corsair TXM Gold 550W

I got my PC around a month ago and this has never happened until today. I can start up the PC just fine and use it normally, until I play some game (Skyrim or Dota 2) for a random amount of time and the screen just goes black with the GPU fan going crazy. At this point the games still seem to be running, but I have to force shutdown the computer. After a restart, the graphics turn to 640x480, and Device Manager says that the GPU has "encountered a problem" (code 43). I can re-enable the graphics card and everything will work again, until of course when I play some game.

Other similar threads suggest it's a problem with dust, seating, or the PSU. I've tried fixing the first two but the problem comes back after a while. The GPU temps don't seem overly high (max at around 83C).

Any help would be appreciated!

wyverald

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
I tried using a Sapphire Dual-X R7 370 graphics card from a friend in place of my card, and got exactly the same issue. That probably points to the PSU as the culprit. I'll try to get a different PSU to test and report back.

TRENDING THREADS