Monitor loses signal during graphic intensive content. GPU issue (onboard works fine)

mtakakjy

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
So a few months ago, I began to notice that my monitor would lose signal and sometimes crash when I was playing a game or doing CAD. Usually, I have to force a restart and then wait anywhere from 5-10 minutes for the signal to come back, other than that, the pc seems to be running or trying to run just fine. Sometimes I get a "display drivers have stopped responding and have recovered." I've tried two different gpu's but I'm still sure that it's a graphics issue since the onboard graphics works perfectly fine when doing games and design software, I also tried a different power supply and monitor so that rules out that. I assume that it's an overheating issue, but I want some other people's opinion on how to approach the next logical step to troubleshooting this since I'm still relatively a pc building noob.

My specs are:
GPU: Asus Radeon R9 270 (former was a Nvidia Geforce 660)
CPU: Intel i5 4670k
Mobo: MSI z87 G45 gaming board
PSU: Cooler master GX 750W
HD: WD 1 TB Blue

Could be a driver issue as the message alluded to.

You've ruled out a power problem?

Did the problem start when you got the R9 270? Does everything work fine when you completely remove the AMD drivers and put the 660 back in (do you still have the 660?)?

mtakakjy

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

mtakakjy

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
I just updated bios but problem still happens when hooked into the gpu, but onboard graphics works fine, I also tried several different vga, hdmi, and dvi cables and they all dont change anything. I'm also not overclocking.