Monitor loses signal unless GPU underclocked

Sirion05

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
Hi, I have a problem with my GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce, specifically that the monitor loses signal as soon as I load into games and I have to reboot my system. Sometimes the fan goes into 100% speed too.

Tried a bunch of stuff to fix this (reseated the GPU, checked cable connectors, checked temps, tried various driver versions) but the only thing that fixed it was underclocking the core speed and memory speed by 50MHz each. Now it's stable in the Superposition benchmark and loads into games no problem.

This hasn't happened until recently (once this weekend in the Anthem demo and then yesterday when it became basically unusable in games). The GPU hasn't been overclocked outside its stock OC. This is all under Windows 10 1803 and latest Nvidia drivers.

PSU and CPU seem fine since this problem doesn't reproduce if I use the integrated Intel GPU. Also, the 1080 is barely over a year old.

Is my GPU dying or is this some weird software bug?

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
use the gpu-z rendering option to stress test gpu and check temp with hwinfo to see if it goes high and fan speed goes up also the voltages he use you could post a picture of the sensor page test of hwinfo here but if the gpu cut you might need rma also list all others part in system that will help .

Sirion05

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014

https://imgur.com/4USBlXT

This is pretty much how it behaves (without the 50MHz underclock). Seems stable, been running for a while now.

The rest of my system: i7 4790k @4.3 GHz, 16GB of DDR3 RAM, Samsung EVO 500GB SSD, a Kingston 120GB SSD and a seagate 1TB HDD.

Sirion05

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
Tried some AC Odyssey and the monitor lost signal again when I loaded the benchmark. Sound was still playing in the speakers.

And now it loses signal again in every game, even with the 50 MHz underclock. Sometimes Windows plays that sound you hear when you plug/unplug something as well.

Sirion05

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014

So, this is what it looks like in idle with the 1080 installed: https://imgur.com/nnoHzub

Managed to run the stress test with just the integrated graphics card without monitor going out (the 1080 was out of the case). Took some screenshots at various points: https://imgur.com/a/vxZl8Mp. Left the test running for ~ 8 mins.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
all psu detailts are ok a and in specs could you try gpu in another system and install the driver for it should not be going to 100 % on speed for the fan without any need except on load also check if the north and south bridge on the board are not hot when you use gpu or around cpu and gpu base the other thing i did see what is fan 2-3-4 they seams to run at low speed .

Sirion05

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014

The local retailer I got it from only offered 3 year warranty unfortunately.

Sirion05

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
Nah, it's OK, already bought a new one that should do just fine for the time being. I plan on building an entirely new system when some solid 7nm CPUs drop anyway so I won't use it for too long (and a 7nm CPU coupled with a 7nm GPU would probably require a beefier PSU). Thanks again for your help!