Monitor loses signal upon booting windows

Imrid Amrad Ursul

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
Hello,

I've had this computer for a few months and everything has been fine. However, the last time I tried to boot it up I got as far as the Windows loading screen before the monitor lost signal.
I can get onto and see Windows using the safe modes but regular boots result in no signal on the monitor.

I'm running windows 10, i7 4790k, gtx 960 4GB.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Solution
I had this problem ,
press F8 while booting, and enable low resolution video it will now boot into windows.

Then run msconfig exe, on boot tab , select and tick BASE Video

PacManCan

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
Windows uses the basic video driver up until the point of the Windows logo disappearing. Sounds like either the motherboard is set to use the onboard graphics (ie the VGA port on motherboard) as opposed to the PCI Express graphics.

1. Try plugging monitor into other ports on GPU or the on board graphics port like VGA.
2. Does the screen stay on if you boot the PC into safe mode, as this also uses the basic video driver.
3. If works in safe mode, then ensure you have the latest nvidia driver installed or repair the installation of the driver.
4. In safe mode check Device Manager and see what video adapters are saying, check for any yellow explanation marks relating to driver issue or adapters relating to old GPU's.

PacManCan

Imrid Amrad Ursul

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
My monitor will only turn on at all using the one socket.

In safe mode device manager I have a warning icon on "generic non-pnp monitor".
There's also one under "amda00 interface" but it says that's because it doesn't run it in safe mode.

PacManCan

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
Let the PC go to the blank screen as normal and press the Windows Key + P a few times with a few seconds delay between presses.

It def sound like either a driver issue, ensure your have Windows 10 drivers installed for the video card.

PacManCan

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
If your PC has an onboard VGA slot, try removing the gtx and then ensure the bios is set to use the onboard. Check if the PC can then boot OK.

Then uninstall all the AMD, nvidea software and re-install it.

PacManCan

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
RTFM :)

After you remove the GTX, there should be an obvious option to restore default settings within the BIOS. Usually like F12 or something, that should put it back to onboard.

Spencer_10

Respectable
May 17, 2016
I had this problem ,
press F8 while booting, and enable low resolution video it will now boot into windows.

Then run msconfig exe, on boot tab , select and tick BASE Video

Solution