Monitor loses signal when playing any game

frozenstorm941

Reputable
Oct 3, 2018
Hello everybody, my computer has been having some issues and I'm hoping someone here can help.

I have an Alienware X51 R2, rest of specs here: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/R3Eytdms1KrNSdu1OYQQENa

Computer has worked fine for years, but about a month ago it started having these problems. When trying to play any video game the monitor would lose signal, and there would be a loud noise coming from the computer. It sounds like a fan, and I assume that was the GPU. The computer still ran though, and I could still hear sounds from the game.

I replaced monitors and cables, and same issue. I checked temps and my gpu was really hot, like over 95C while gaming which I assumed was the issue, so I got a new gpu. My old one was GTX 750. I have a friend that also has an X51 R2 and he recommended that I get what he has, a Zotac GTX 1060 Mini. I got one and...same problem. The new gpu is not overheating though, it barely reaches 65C while gaming, so I am assuming that is not a problem. My CPU and Motherboard might be overheating though, as they are both hitting around 70C while gaming.

What do you guys think? What is the problem here?

There are a couple of possibilities. If the power supply is inadequate, the graphics card will be under powered at some point. If it has enough power under light loads, it may not under increased loads.

The other possibility is temperature related. The 65 - 70 C C that you mentioned may not be accurate (for example). I would reevaluate the case cooling anyway. Both cards are getting hot. Once the new card accumulates a lot of dust, it may be in trouble too.

frozenstorm941

Reputable
Oct 3, 2018

The power supply should be fine, I have a friend with the exact same system and he isn't having any problems. As for the temperature... What would you recommend I do about cooling? I have tried cleaning the inside of the computer but no changes.

What is the power supply? It isn't listed.

Power supplies loose power output with age. This is a pre-built PC (apparently around five years old). They are not known for their great power supplies. So it is entirely possible that the power supply is'nt providing sufficient watts.

frozenstorm941

Reputable
Oct 3, 2018

I have 330w power supply. I can't get any higher on this PC without heavily modifying it which I have no clue how to do. I shouldn't need to though, 330w should be enough.

frozenstorm941

Reputable
Oct 3, 2018

My friend has the same power supply though and his works fine. There are also many youtube videos of people installing it and it works for them. Also, I had this problem with a GTX 750 too, so I doubt the power supply is what is causing problems.

frozenstorm941

Reputable
Oct 3, 2018

Yeah I have used it for about 4 years, he's only had it 1 year. Still, not sure what is causing my problems.