[SOLVED] Monitor loses signal with any GPU drivers

Dec 14, 2019
Okay, so I realize this is not an uncommon issue, but I have read everything I can find about potential solutions to this problem and still no luck.

My computer is custom built so it doesn't have integrated graphics, and has been working fine for the last 5 year up to when I left it to go away to school. Upon coming back, I tried to start it and found that whenever I started the computer, after the windows loading screen, the monitors would lose signal and never come back on.
Specs:
CPU - AMD FX9590
GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 970
Mobo - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0)
PSU - Corsair CX750M

It loads into safe mode fine, and deleting the graphics drivers seems to work... for like an extra minute. Just deleting the driver allowed me to get to the login screen before the monitor lost signal, and then I later tried doing a complete clean with DDU which I finally thought fixed the issue, but after logging in, and letting my startup programs load up, the monitor lost signal again and we're back to the same problem. This lead me to believe that it was an automatic install of drivers that was causing my issue, which I was right about, since when I disabled windows update automatic install, it allowed me to use the computer without safe mode (finally).

HOWEVER, it only works with the base windows display adapter/driver. The SECOND i try to install ANY graphics driver, my monitors cut out again. This is also the case whenever I run windows update because it always installs "NVIDIA Display 26.21.14.3200". I've tried reinstalling windows, switching the card to a different PCI_E16 port, tried different monitors and cables, I even tried to put a different card in there (Radeon HD 6790 i had lying around) , but the monitors didnt turn on at all with that installed for some reason... I cant even access the BIOS or any other boot menu option because whenever I try, it just gives me a black screen (I think this is because the resolution is all messed up even here). Im absolutely at my wits end with this, and honestly the only options i see left are to start throwing parts at it, which financially, I cant do.

PLEASE help me figure this out. Any input is appreciated

Last edited:
Solution
Might not be the psu. Could be the motherboard or graphics card.

Could try get 6790 working to test but there's a couple of things you may need to do first. That's change Bios to legacy mode if it's on EFI using the 970. If 6790 (non UEFI) displays, have a spare hdd to install a test copy of Windows because most likely won't be able to boot normally with your current OS install.

If 6790 works normally with drivers installed, try the 970 again.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Installing GPU drivers initiates clock speeds and power plans. Seems like which ever card you put in isn't getting adequate power.

Do you have a spare cpu requiring less power you can try? Just to see if reducing power strain from the psu and motherboard leads you in another direction.

Fx 9xxx series require tremendous amount of power to run + GTX 970, i suspect critical components in the PSU and possibly motherboard have been stressed too much. Cx750 isn't great either so wouldn't be surprised it's part of the problem.

Dec 14, 2019
Installing GPU drivers initiates clock speeds and power plans. Seems like which ever card you put in isn't getting adequate power.

Do you have a spare cpu requiring less power you can try? Just to see if reducing power strain from the psu and motherboard leads you in another direction.

Fx 9xxx series require tremendous amount of power to run + GTX 970, i suspect critical components in the PSU and possibly motherboard have been stressed too much. Cx750 isn't great either so wouldn't be surprised it's part of the problem.

It definitely seems possible. Unfortunately I don't have a better power supply or a lower-power cpu to throw at it. Is there a way to measure if my psu isnt putting out as much power as it should?

Dec 14, 2019
Yeah possible to check psu with a multimeter but have never done it myself. There are guides though.

I just multimeter tested the PSU and all readings were well within their respective ranges. Not sure if I'm happy about this or not because I rather replace the psu than the motherboard :/

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Could try get 6790 working to test but there's a couple of things you may need to do first. That's change Bios to legacy mode if it's on EFI using the 970. If 6790 (non UEFI) displays, have a spare hdd to install a test copy of Windows because most likely won't be able to boot normally with your current OS install.

Solution
Dec 14, 2019

So currently, I just got the 6790 up and running using the lower PCIe port. Not sure if its the port that got it working, or now that I think about it, last time i tried to use it, the computer still might have had the old drivers on it, whereas this time they were wiped clean first. (I think its more likely the latter as I have been running the other card on the top slot this whole time). I just downloaded the drivers for this card and everything is working great.

So this basically assures me its either the card, or the motherboard, because going off of what you were saying earlier, this card is bound to draw less power than the 970. I guess now I just need to figure out which one is faulty. Whats the easiest way to do that? I'm leaning towards the graphics card being the culprit but I don't think it would be fair to rule out the motherboard just yet.

Also I just want to express my appreciation for you helping me through this, its not very often I run into problems of this magnitude so thank you.

Dec 14, 2019
Your welcome.

Quickest way to determine if it's the graphics card is test it in another machine with a friends help or have it checked out at a PC shop.

I just attempted to plug in my second monitor to the 6790 and my computer hard-crashed. If I try to power the computer on with both monitors plugged in, I don't get any signal. If I do it with only one, it works fine. This is the nail in the coffin that determines my motherboard is bad, isn't it?

Dec 14, 2019
Like when I plugged in the second monitor both screens lost signal and the audio that was playing stopped and there was a light buzz in my headphones instead. When I restarted the computer, Windows said it was performing disk error repairs.

And yes, doesnt matter which port, as long as I only have one monitor. The second I plug in 2 the gpu fan starts spinning really fast and I lose signal

Dec 14, 2019
I think my assessment that it worked only in the secondary slot was wrong. When I originally tried to use the 6790 in the top slot, I had both monitors plugged in which is why it didnt work. I havent confirmed that it will work as expected if i were to switch slots again but at this point I feel confident that I don't need to. I suppose it is time to look at new boards.