Question Monitor losing display while playing Red Dead 2

Sep 23, 2023
Monitors lose display signal, PC has no sounds and power button doesn't switches of the PC during RDD2 gameplay, Anyone know what this could be?

The display loss symptoms

* Monitors loses display and shows no signal
* The sound from the game/PC disappears
* The power of button doesn't work to switch of the PC, I have to switch of the PSU
* The fans don't really ramp up or go loudly the way most of "Display signal loss" issues does
* Nothing else from the PC response to any input

I initially thought it was a Linux issue but I installed Windows and the issue happens there as well.

I also ran Furmark and Prime95 at the same time to test and I could reproduce it once, happened almost 5min after I started the 2 stress tests. After that one run It never popped up again when doing the Furmark + Prime95 stress test. The only other game this happened on was GTA V while gaming on Linux. It went away after I used Proton GE.

Besides GTA, RDD2 and Furmark+Prime95 no other game managed to cause a lock up like this. And I played 8+ hr sessions of BG3 before starting RDD2.

**PC Specs:CPU**: Ryzen 5800x no OC

**GPU**: XFX Speedster MERC 319 AMD Radeon™ RX 6800 XT no OC

**RAM**: 32G Gskil 3200mhz

**Mobo**: MSI B450 Tomahawk max (Latest BIOS)

**PSU**: Super Flower SF-850F14HG(BK) Leadex III Gold 850W

**OS**: Arch Linux and Windows 11

Things I've tried that didn't work:

* Using different OS's
* disabling XMP
* Tried running Starfield or Cyberpunk 2077 and see if it causes a crash - worked fine
* Capping my FPS on RDD2 to 60fps and making sure the GPU usage is lower than 80%
* Updating BIOS
* Mesa-git/linux-firmware-git on Linux and fresh install of windows

So I wanna know if anyone has encountered a similar type of crash/lock up before? And what could cause it? I'm thinking its either my GPU or PSU. I have order a 1000w fsp PSU to see if it's that (the shop I ordered it from has a very lax return policy). But could this be the motherboard or GPU, gpu was bought second hand?

are you running a OSD overlay to keep an eye on what's gong on with the system up to when these "crashes" happen?

make sure GeForce Experience is not enabled during these games.
make sure you have the latest drivers directly from Nvidia, not XFX software packages.

you also may have some issue with Rockstar Games launcher if the only 2 games you've had issue with are GTAV and Red Dead Redemption 2.
make sure to update the launcher and verify game integrity through it.