Monitor losing signal randomly

thelolster32

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
So my computer just loses signals when using my computer. I've got the latest amd drivers such as catalyst and adrenalin. Here are the specs:

AMD A8-7600
MSI A78M-E35 mATX
8 Gb (2x4GB) HyperX Fury 1866Mhz DDR3 Ram
1 TB Toshiba 7200 RPM Hard drive
Generic Powerlogic PSU and Casing
VGA Cable that has color problems

The problem might be caused by my VGA cable that has problems with color and can only display color properly when vga cable is in a certain angle.

*Please help cause I need to sell this pc soon*

Solution
Ok, so you've tried a different VGA, you've tried using the video card and the onboard graphics card and it still happens.

Curious, when did you get this PC? How long has it been doing this? Has it always been doing this? Have you done any recent changes or done anything that might cause problems, hardware or software?

So you're saying it loses video signal, sound, and then the PC begins to restart on it's own. Perhaps this isn't a video card issue if you're also losing sound and the PC wants to restart.
There really isn't much to do other than traditional troubleshooting.
-If you have another hard drive with an OS on it, try using that or try reformatting for a fresh install of Windows (make sure you back up your stuff).
-Try using...

evan1715

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Ah, ok. If it still does it on a different VGA cable, then it is not the VGA cable.

You say that it only displays properly when the VGA is in at a certain angle. Is this specific position on your monitor or your video card?
If it's on your video card that you have to have it at a certain angle, then try using the on-board video card/VGA connection and see if it still has issues.
If it's the monitor, try the on-board video still.
If it still does it on the on-board VGA, then it's likely the monitor's VGA connection is faulty or the monitor itself is faulty. Then you would try a different monitor to see if it starts working.

thelolster32

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

The broken VGA cable only works properly in a certain angle. The new one works fine but it still loses signal randomly. Also when it loses signal, it also loses sound and just prompted to restart on it's own. I've tried removing and installing the Graphics card and then using the onboard graphics but it still happens.

evan1715

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Ok, so you've tried a different VGA, you've tried using the video card and the onboard graphics card and it still happens.

Curious, when did you get this PC? How long has it been doing this? Has it always been doing this? Have you done any recent changes or done anything that might cause problems, hardware or software?

So you're saying it loses video signal, sound, and then the PC begins to restart on it's own. Perhaps this isn't a video card issue if you're also losing sound and the PC wants to restart.
There really isn't much to do other than traditional troubleshooting.
-If you have another hard drive with an OS on it, try using that or try reformatting for a fresh install of Windows (make sure you back up your stuff).
-Try using only one RAM stick, if it still does it, use only the other RAM stick.
-Make sure all heatsinks and all other connections are secure and temperatures are where they are supposed to be.
-If you still feel like it's a graphical issue, try using a television or a different monitor.
-If you can, try another power supply. Perhaps there's a power issue.
-Try another motherboard, it could be the motherboard.

Really, it could be a lot of things and since I'm not in front of the PC myself to see what's specifically going on, you'll probably just have to break it down one by one. Personally, I would start off with ensuring all temperatures are good and connections are secure. I would then reformat. If reformat doesn't work, I would begin the troubleshooting of the hardware one by one.

Solution

thelolster32

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

The pc is about 2 years except for the RAM(which is bought a few months after the pc was assembled) and the GPU(which was bought recently and I removed and placed back in the PC).

I've reinstall Windows for 3 times in a row last week but it still restarts on it's own. The power supply is a 700w generic which came with the casing. I've plug and remove and going to replug my extra hard drive in which I store games but even when the hard drive is not plug and the ssd is the only one booting, it still happens.

I would buy a new PSU and motherboard but I have no budget, I was hoping to upgrade to atleast a 3rd gen i3 and a decent power supply but I'm $20 off the budget.

I've also tried booting to another hard drive but it still happens.

P.S. All parts are bought brand new in the June of 2016.

thelolster32

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

I just found in my psu that some pins of the 24 pin connector from my psu is melted. So maybe that's where the problem came from.