[SOLVED] Monitor Lost Signal when trying to run games at high setting After Installing New GPU

Mar 5, 2020
I decided to upgrade a bit of my 7 yo PC. Bought a GTX 1650S yesterday. (And yes, I checked if it's compatible with my old setup or not, confirmed it is compatible from many sources)

First, here was my old PC spec:
-Intel i5 3570k
-GTX 660 TI
-mobo MSI z77a G45
-PSU 550 W (which I forgot the model/brand)
-Monitor AOC e950Sw (I'd say it's pretty ancient monitor by now with supports only 720p and only VGA slot)

You noticed my monitor there, making it's hard to connect my GPU to it since it only has VGA slot, and my new GPU only supports HDMI, DP, and DVI-D. So I tried few adapter/converter to connect my monitor to GPU, 2 of them didnt help at all, and I found out I need and active converter for it. One of the few adapter I tried works. Installed new driver with no problem.

Well, until I tried opening some of my games. I opened MHW at first with no problem, went to the setting to change it's setting from low to high (with some manual settings here and there). And after it restarted the game for the new setting to apply, It lost signal right before entering start menu (here I can still hear the game, can move my mouse and keyboard still working (I can hear the menu selection sound when moving my mouse around). It just lost the connection to the monitor. It went back after I forced closing the game.

After that I tried another game, which is Nier Automata. It didnt lose signal, but the popup window from monitor showing up saying "Input not Supported". Tried another game (FFXIV), just like MHW, it lost signal.
From what I've been searching on for this problem, they said it might be the monitor (which most likely the problem), drivers, converter/adapter/the cable, PSU problem, or Defect new GPU

- For monitor, this is most likely the problem, since it could be my old monitor cant handle the new GPU. Havent tried using other monitor since I dont have one that I can try.

- Drivers, I did clean uninstall the driver with DDU, reinstalling new one. And I even tried older version of the drivers. Didnt work and still got the problem

- Converter/Adapter/Cable, also most likely the problem, after trying a few adapters, this one works, but it's a pretty cheap one, I doubt it can handle the GPU too.

- PSU problem, could be, but I tried checking the volt rails on BIOS, the 3.3V , 5V and 12V seems fine, the numbers are still around there (3.27V, 5.020V, 12.23V). And I really doubt it was my PSU problem, like if it cant really power my new GPU, not like 1650 S is a power hungry one. My old GPU when OC still needs more power than 1650S. And im still using the same PSU with old GPU right now and still going well.

- Defect new GPU, I really really hope it's not the problem. I didnt know if this info is any help to rule it out entirely, GPU connected well to the mobo, fans are good, can connect to monitor after using the adapter/converter, and drivers can detect the GPU well.

Well thats all the details things of the problems that I got from installing new GPU. From those, I think it's probably the monitor or adapter, which new HDMI monitor would help. I just need a confirmation if it's actually the problem before buying new monitor. It might not be it, so what do you guys think?

Solution
Best guess is the monitor can't handle higher resolutions and/or higher frequencies demanded by some game display settings.

So if wanting to play games at these higher resolutions and/or higher frequencies, then a more capable monitor will have to be bought.
Best guess is the monitor can't handle higher resolutions and/or higher frequencies demanded by some game display settings.

So if wanting to play games at these higher resolutions and/or higher frequencies, then a more capable monitor will have to be bought.

Solution
Mar 5, 2020
yeah, thats what I thought too

Anw I just tried using the GPU again, lowered the resolution for a bit, can open MHW, login and running around in the city. Lost signal again when trying to hunt.
After that I tried with nier again, using the old setting but fullscreen, I can run it, tried to higher the setting, and lost signal.

I let my case opened to check if anything's going weird on it when the problem occurs, and no. Nothing, like the fans still spinning normal, no weird noise, or anything different happened.

Mar 5, 2020
Yesterday I got the chance to test it on HDMI monitor (actually my TV, I forgot my TV got HDMI port), it worked perfectly fine. Well thats the confirmation that I need to buy new monitor and I bought 1 today and it works fine now.

Thanks for the help, the problem is solved now