[SOLVED] Monitor need for new build

xtreme9

Prominent
May 11, 2019
Ive just finishied purchasing all my parts for my new build and will be commencing the build shortly. Howevere the monitor i have BenQ G2420HD is a tad old and i would like to upgrade it to a 1440p monitor. The thing is i dont know much about monitors and the pricining can esculate ver high so are there any recomendations for a userwho will use it mostly for graphic design and casual gaming. Also my budget is $500AUD tops

My computer
PC part picker

Design Tools:
Photoshop
Premiere
Zbrush(future endeavour)
Maxon Cinima 4D

Games:
CS GO
Witcher 3
AOE2
Halo(when it releases)
Assasins Creed Franchise

Solution
The link goes back to this page on that MSI monitor. But if it's the MAG271CR (Not CRR) then it's a monitor that has problems with speed and performance, as seen here:

The MZ27AQ has no reliable reviews that I can see, and neither does the KG271UA.
Do you have a size limit or preference? Are you ok with a 32" 1440p 144hz 1ms VA panel that is Gsync compatible Freesync, and actually WORKS with Nvidia cards?

If you can do a 32" monitor, which honestly is only about 3/4" inch taller than the 27" sitting next to it, it's almost impossible to beat this monitor without spending a lot more money.

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: LG 32GK650F-B 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($489.00 @ Centre Com)
Total: $489.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-26 15:34 AEDT+1100

xtreme9

Prominent
May 11, 2019
Do you have a size limit or preference? Are you ok with a 32" 1440p 144hz 1ms VA panel that is Gsync compatible Freesync, and actually WORKS with Nvidia cards?

If you can do a 32" monitor, which honestly is only about 3/4" inch taller than the 27" sitting next to it, it's almost impossible to beat this monitor without spending a lot more money.

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: LG 32GK650F-B 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($489.00 @ Centre Com)
Total: $489.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-26 15:34 AEDT+1100

Honestly thank you i hadnt considered the size but now that youve put it i would say 27-32. Also i think im sold on that one :)

I can tell you, it is a fantastic monitor and there are several others around here who have one, or more, and swear by it. I was turned onto it by another moderator and I'm glad. I had first purchased a different monitor, a Dell unit, and didn't like it. I returned it and paid a bit more for the 32GK650F-B, and I'm really glad I did. So far, I haven't found ANYTHING at all to complain about. Nothing. And that's unusual for me because normally I can find some kind of issue with just about any monitor I own.

Reactions: Jason H.
And I completely disagree. Especially if you ever care to be able to READ anything text based that is on the screen.

I like 1080p up to 27". 1440p between 27-32" and 4k for anything 32" or larger.

Smaller than that, and it's pointless, because you can't barely make out text unless you are fortunate enough to have PERFECT vision, or at least very good close to mid range reading vision. And you lose some advantages when gaming, especially in the area of being able to see things far away. 1440p is a good mix because things remain large enough to still see if they are fairly distant, but it's still a much higher pixel density than 1080p so the eye candy is still good too.

This will be ten different opinions if you ask ten different people, so trying to impress any one point of view when it comes to the best resolution and size is a pointless endeavor. Everybody needs to choose what works best for themselves, not what anybody else tells them is best.

xtreme9

Prominent
May 11, 2019
After going into a store and looking at the monitor I found it too large for my liking. Also after browsing other options I felt like 27 inch is perfect for my needs. What are your options at this size?

I didn't like this size either, at first. After about a week of using it, I would never go back to anything smaller than this in the future except as a secondary display.

However, if you want a 27", there are a few very good recommendations in this other thread that I have currently been participating in. Please ignore the ignoramus in there with the attitude problem. :)

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-recommendations.3542031/page-2#post-21399307

I'm thinking that the LG 27GL83A-B is probably a very good option but since there are no reviews yet I can't say for certain.

Last edited:

xtreme9

Prominent
May 11, 2019
I didn't like this size either, at first. After about a week of using it, I would never go back to anything smaller than this in the future except as a secondary display.

However, if you want a 27", there are a few very good recommendations in this other thread that I have currently been participating in. Please ignore the ignoramus in there with the attitude problem. :)

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-recommendations.3542031/page-2#post-21399307

I'm thinking that the LG 27GL83A-B is probably a very good option but since there are no reviews yet I can't say for certain.

Could not find a retailer for AU in this product. They however had some other options. So ive compiled a small list of options and just want to see your thoughts as you have more knowledge regarding screens.

MSI Optix MAG271CRR (Currently a good deal on this one)
ASUS Designo MZ27AQ
Acer KG271UA QHD

What are your thoughts on the above three?

The link goes back to this page on that MSI monitor. But if it's the MAG271CR (Not CRR) then it's a monitor that has problems with speed and performance, as seen here:

The MZ27AQ has no reliable reviews that I can see, and neither does the KG271UA.

Solution
I can tell you, it is a fantastic monitor and there are several others around here who have one, or more, and swear by it. I was turned onto it by another moderator and I'm glad. I had first purchased a different monitor, a Dell unit, and didn't like it. I returned it and paid a bit more for the 32GK650F-B, and I'm really glad I did. So far, I haven't found ANYTHING at all to complain about. Nothing. And that's unusual for me because normally I can find some kind of issue with just about any monitor I own.

Hey dark, not to butt in, but Ive never heard of a VA panel? Only TN or IPS... could you give me some context on the difference?

xtreme9

Prominent
May 11, 2019

So sorry but I inputed the wrong link..not sure how! The MSI monitor I was meant to put was the MAG271CQR. This however seems to be purely a gaming monitor; would I be able to tell much difference over the IPS monitors