Monitor needs DVI-D Dual Link for 144hz 1080p. Video card only has HDMI & VGA output. Can I use a DVI to HDMI cable?

DraconiX6

Prominent
May 8, 2017
Title says most of it, the 144hz monitor came with a DP but my video card doesn't support that and adapters are pretty expensive, but according to the manual a DVI-D Dual Link supports the 1080p 144hz function. So will I be able to use a DVI to HDMI cable to get 144hz? Thanks for any replies!

Solution

The fact that it's a laptop is pretty important, you just said "video card" which implies a video card not a laptop port.

You will not be able to run 144hz on your laptop unless it's a high end one. Sounds like you are using an AMD onboard video, you need to replace the laptop with a real gaming one and check the specs on it to make sure it can run 144hz on the external monitor, or build a desktop, or use a 60hz monitor.

DraconiX6

Prominent
May 8, 2017
Well, I use a laptop so I'm not sure about exchanging that but my monitor does have a DVI port, along with VGA, HDMI and DP. I've ordered a DVI to HDMI cable to see if it'll work. Thanks for the reply though

The fact that it's a laptop is pretty important, you just said "video card" which implies a video card not a laptop port.

You will not be able to run 144hz on your laptop unless it's a high end one. Sounds like you are using an AMD onboard video, you need to replace the laptop with a real gaming one and check the specs on it to make sure it can run 144hz on the external monitor, or build a desktop, or use a 60hz monitor.

Solution