Monitor no signal, GPU fan maxes

TrojanH

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
Hi,

When my GPU goes under load my screen blacks out, my monitor receives no signal and my GPU fan immediately maxes at 100%, even if the temps were very low the second before.

I believe the PC still works when blacked out. I can still talk over Skype. Yet, until I hold down the power for a few seconds, wait a bit, then turn it on does my video turn back on. If I restart too quickly the GPU maxes out and fails to display again.

I have an R9 290X Windforce and an AX850 PSU.

Solution
when the power suppy have dry caps your graphics card will have a issue like lost image and come again and again. but will work normal. but it can damage your components.... Try some one can dissemble your card and re-heat it with a hot air gun. maybe work some time. but is better reballing your gpu. maybe in your country the work have more value than getting a new one.

TrojanH

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

I think this may be it. I tried cleaning all the contacts + solder points with alcohol and though they are clean they look really dry and crackly. Could you provide any reasoning as to why this would be a problem? Does it stop the heat being transferred and cause overheating not detected by the sensors?

Alternatively, could it be my 3 year old AX850? I think my PC pulls ~400w or something, so I really doubt it, the GPU fan does max out, and I think that if I had other fans connected directly to the motherboard, it would do just that.

Amdlova

Distinguished
when the power suppy have dry caps your graphics card will have a issue like lost image and come again and again. but will work normal. but it can damage your components.... Try some one can dissemble your card and re-heat it with a hot air gun. maybe work some time. but is better reballing your gpu. maybe in your country the work have more value than getting a new one.

Solution