Question Monitor "No Signal"

Aug 17, 2019
I am trying to build my first PC. I have all the parts to do so, brand new out of the box (except the mobo, which was slightly used), but I cannot get a signal to my monitor(s). Here are my specs; https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2JDMP3
Note; the storage I am currently using is a Toshiba 1Tb, but idk if it's the same one as the pcpartpicker bfuild says.

I have taken apart the build and bread boarded with EZ Debug lights and a mobo 4 pin speaker. When powering only the most basic parts (CPU, CPU Fan) with no memory etc, the speaker gives 3 long beeps, indicating a memory issue. I put one RAM stick in, start it, no beeps. I couldn't get it to respond with a error message with any other parts. I tried swapping video cards, (1660ti to GTX 1050), and didn't get any code or signal to my monitor. Yes, I have tried switching ports on the monitor and graphics card. Yes, I have tried different video cables. Yes, I have tried different working monitors, no signal still.
I am pretty sure I tried all 23 steps of troubleshooting before this (https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1575220/). I hooked up my 1660 GPU with an old setup (A68HM-E33 V2 mobo with a crucial DDR3 stick and a AMD CPU, I don't know what it is, if it's important to know tell me and I'll respond with it) and hooked up the monitor to it and it worked, display received signal. This also worked with the 1050 GPU as well.

NOTES: Some more information regarding my situation.
I did not test the PSU, even though it's right outta the box, brand new.

When using another crappy PSU, the EZ Debug lights for the CPU were on, they aren't on with the new power supply.

I could have damaged the mobo through ESD, as I was not careful, but all components seem to be working fine, except for the "no signal" of course.

I didn't try testing the CPU or replacing it in my Z370 to see if any different results occurred.

If there's any information I did not provide, just ask. I am open to any suggestions. I do have a strong feeling that my mobo is fried. But, I don't want to jump to conclusions. Anything helps!

Aug 17, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

The PSU is a pretty poor quality one, so it could be a culprit.

Presumably you updated the BIOS to latest version prior to installing the 9600K? it needs Z370-A PRO (MS-7B48) V2.9 BIOS Release to take the 9600K.
Welcome to the forums my friend!

The PSU is a pretty poor quality one, so it could be a culprit.

Presumably you updated the BIOS to latest version prior to installing the 9600K? it needs Z370-A PRO (MS-7B48) V2.9 BIOS Release to take the 9600K.
I’ll see about getting another PSU, but I thought I needed to get a signal to my monitor to update the BIOS. The site says the CPU is compatible, but I’m new to this and would like to know if I messed up. Do I need to update the BIOS right now? Is it safe? I can look up how to do it if so.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I’ll see about getting another PSU, but I thought I needed to get a signal to my monitor to update the BIOS. The site says the CPU is compatible, but I’m new to this and would like to know if I messed up. Do I need to update the BIOS right now? Is it safe? I can look up how to do it if so.
No, you have to update the BIOS first with an out of the box compatible CPU (doesn't need BIOS update) , update it, then you can install the new CPU.

Your 9th gen CPU needs an updated BIOS first. You MIGHT be in luck that MSI might have a CPU-less BIOS update, but you'll need to check your manual.

Update instructions will be on your motherboard manufacturers support page. Being as you don't know what BIOS you have, the BIOS update would be the first port of call to see if that is indeed the problem.

"Compatible" basically means it CAN run the hardware, but doesn't mean it can run it fresh out of the box with no updates.

Aug 17, 2019
No, you have to update the BIOS first with an out of the box compatible CPU (doesn't need BIOS update) , update it, then you can install the new CPU.

Your 9th gen CPU needs an updated BIOS first. You MIGHT be in luck that MSI might have a CPU-less BIOS update, but you'll need to check your manual.

Update instructions will be on your motherboard manufacturers support page. Being as you don't know what BIOS you have, the BIOS update would be the first port of call to see if that is indeed the problem.

"Compatible" basically means it CAN run the hardware, but doesn't mean it can run it fresh out of the box with no updates.
Ok thank you for the help! but one more thing, can I go into a computer shop to update the BIOS? What would you recommend I do? I can run up to Best Buy to borrow a cpu. Again thanks A LOT!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ok thank you for the help! but one more thing, can I go into a computer shop to update the BIOS? What would you recommend I do? I can run up to Best Buy to borrow a cpu. Again thanks A LOT!
You won't be able to borrow one, but a computer shop may be able to update it for you.

Double check the motherboard manual if you can do a CPU-less BIOS update,. I can't recall if this chipset can.

Aug 17, 2019
You won't be able to borrow one, but a computer shop may be able to update it for you.

Double check the motherboard manual if you can do a CPU-less BIOS update,. I can't recall if this chipset can.
Thanks! I’ll update you later and see if this works, I really hope it does.

EDIT: Yes! it worked. Thanks for the help.

Last edited: