Monitor not displaying when computer is powered on.

snakcaz

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
Situation: Yesterday night my monitor and computer were working just fine. I turn my computer on this afternoon and the monitor does not recognize any sort of video source. The monitor is powered on, but is in sleep mode, and my computer is on and running. What could be wrong? Why isn't my monitor recognizing my computer?

*Note: I know the problem is not the monitor. I connected the monitor to my laptop, turns on and works just fine. So I think the problem could be either the GPU or motherboard?

Monitor: Dell U2311H
Graphics:: Diamond Radeon R9 280X
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 (rev. v1.0)

Some solutions I've tried:
-Changing cable connection from [DVI-D-DVI-D] to [DVI-D-HDMI].
-Connecting monitor to motherboard. Monitor still doesn't recognize it
-Resetted BIOS/CMOS to set motherboard to default settings. Removed battery and re-insterted.

Any suggestions or solutions? Thanks!

oohoohpickme

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

Hey, I'm having the same problem as OP and I can indeed hear the Windows7 startup sound. I know for sure that my monitor is fine, since I have hooked it up to another laptop and it was working. All I've tried so far is to power it down, plug the power cord out, and pressed the power up button to release whatever power was there. (several times, I do'nt know if this is harmful, though.) I'm thinking it's something hardware related, specifically with GPU connection to the motherboard, however NOTHING has been messed with from last night. Any help?

snakcaz

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
UPDATE: Motherboard without graphics card works fine.

I took out my gpu and nothing seems damaged cosmetically or visibly.

Could the gpu not being properly cooled stop it from working or turning on?