Monitor not receiving Signal when installing new RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xposeidon

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Hello guys I hope you can help me with this. I recently tried installing some ram I bought a while ago.

RAM is G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL, i bought a pair 4gx2 to install in my system along with a SSD

My motherboard is P8Z68-v Pro/Gen3 so I believe it is compatible.

I recently updated my bios in an attempt to fix my problem I'm currently running version 3202. Here's the bios website if you believe I need to further update it in order to fix it. http://www.service.asus.com/#!Downloads/c1wax

My problem is that whenever I plug the new RAM in the motherboard, my monitor will not receive signal. When I remove the new ram and just leave the old one the monitor will receive the signal again so there is def something wrong with the RAM or my settings. I thought about resetting the CMOS but it's a pain to get to since it's behind my graphics card which is behind cables and I'm afraid to touch anything and fry my computer.

Thank you guys for your help reply if you need more info.

Solution
Best way to check a slot is try 2 or 3 sticks you know work in the slot by its self. If it won't boot with a stick that is known to be good you likely have a fautly slot. for best results put them like this

Kit A
Kit B

slot 1A
slot 2B

slot 3A
slot 4B

(same kit in same colored slots).

However if slot 1 is bad don't use it at all but do the same just ignore slot 1.

xposeidon

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
After further research I'm starting to believe the RAM is not compatible with that motherboard if anyone else wants to confirm this.

I went to the G.Skill webpage and from the looks of it, it is compatible.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
The ram should be compatable, the issue might be that you're trying to mix kits, what do you have in the board now? you need to put the slower kit closer to the processor and go into the bios and ensure you have the speed set at the slowest memory, this still won't guarantee things work, but it gives you the best chance, also try dram voltage of 1.55~1.6 when mixing kits.

xposeidon

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Supahos thank you for your input, after reading this I went ahead and tried mixing them up put the old ram in the first 2 and the new ram in the last 2 slots, lowered the speed and upped the voltage to 1.55 still did not work.

So i decided to try the new sticks alone in the 2nd place of each slot pair (like I had the old setup) and it worked fine, so I know for sure the sticks are good. I also realized they are the same sticks as the old ones! I must've bought them with this in mind (it was a couple of months ago)

Afterwards I ran some tests, upped the voltage, slower the drm frequency but nothing worked. After that I tested the 2nd, 3rd and 4th slot with the first one out and it picked it up this way even at 1600 frequency and 1.5 voltage. So I don't have a stick in slot 1 at the moment and running at 12gb. What I'm wondering is how do I check if a slot is working or not?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Best way to check a slot is try 2 or 3 sticks you know work in the slot by its self. If it won't boot with a stick that is known to be good you likely have a fautly slot. for best results put them like this

Kit A
Kit B

slot 1A
slot 2B

slot 3A
slot 4B

(same kit in same colored slots).

However if slot 1 is bad don't use it at all but do the same just ignore slot 1.

Solution

xposeidon

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
I am now typing from my 16gb RAM computer, I checked the slot with the older and then the newer stick by themselves and it still didn't work, it was strange for me for that slot not to work since I've never messed with RAM before and saw no reason for it to go faulty. So after taking a closer look at it I saw that it had bits of dust on the slot and decided wth worth a last try to try to clean it with a duster spray cleaner. Put one of the newer sticks, turned it on and voila! the computer picked it up!

Put the others back in, in the set up that you recommended and it booted first try.

I'm very thankful for your help Supahos I thought I would never figure this out the thing that I thought would be the easiest to install turned out to be the more troublesome but hopefully well worth it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.