Question Monitor not recognising PC

Oct 1, 2020
Hi I was looking for some help regarding an issue with my
PC/ monitor. The PC was set to 4k res. through my original monitor before monitor got a fault. I tried to connect the PC to another monitor that is 2k yet despite it recognising that there is an HDMI connected I get no picture. As I have virtually no clue about any of this, and I was wondering if the problem is the fact that the PC is set to a higher resolution. I had assumed that it would automatically set the proper resolution when connected to another screen but as I said I have no clue about any of this. Thanks for and help forthwith

Oct 1, 2020
I have tried unplugging the PC and connecting the monitor after it has powered up but still nothing. The graphics card is connected to the motherboard. My GPU is an RX 580 8gb with a B450 motherboard. I am waiting on a neighbor so I can try it on his 4k monitor to see if setting the resolution to one befitting of a 2k monitor will solve the problem . And thank you for the reply

styymy

Commendable
May 22, 2018
What kind of hdmi cable are you using? Do you have other hdmi cables you could use to test connect the video card to the monitor? Some monitors can be picky. As long as the hdmi cable is certified hi-speed, the monitor should be able to pick up the video card.

Oct 1, 2020
The HDMI cable I am using is a relatively expensive high speed one so hopefully it isn't the cable. I have tried another cheaper HDMI but the problem persists. I will try the PC and cable on my neighbours monitor when able and see if it works, and if so change the resolution and see if that helps with my monitor. Failing that I will just wait for my 4k monitor to be repaired. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply , and for all of your help today, thanks very much