Monitor not registering motherboard?

Fallen29

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
I just put all the parts of my PC together and It looks to be working except..
Its turning on and everything. The fans are working correctly and everything. The GPU lights up and everything as well... but for whatever reason it doesn't look like its showing up ANYTHING on the monitor.

Heres my motherboard right now and the second picture have some cables that are left over and I have no idea where they go :/

Did I mess up?

Here are the pics
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z235/viku123/PC%20IN_zpskwryeavz.jpeg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z235/viku123/Cables_zpssdbvwbvz.jpeg

Solution
The cables you're showing look like fan cables or extensions. Shouldn't matter unless your board needs to read an RPM from a certain fan header in order to allow it to power up (this is possible but typically would only be the CPU_FAN header which is typically 4 pins and more importantly, probably the one you connected the heatsink's fan to).

Simple question: Where did you plug the monitor into? If you didn't plug it into the GPU's ports then you need to do that because it overrides the ports on the motherboard, which are connected to the CPU not the GPU.

Next, did you connect the PCIe power cables to the GPU?

If neither of these work, I would assume there's a kind of electrical short and the motherboard isn't in the case...

joex444

Distinguished
The cables you're showing look like fan cables or extensions. Shouldn't matter unless your board needs to read an RPM from a certain fan header in order to allow it to power up (this is possible but typically would only be the CPU_FAN header which is typically 4 pins and more importantly, probably the one you connected the heatsink's fan to).

Simple question: Where did you plug the monitor into? If you didn't plug it into the GPU's ports then you need to do that because it overrides the ports on the motherboard, which are connected to the CPU not the GPU.

Next, did you connect the PCIe power cables to the GPU?

If neither of these work, I would assume there's a kind of electrical short and the motherboard isn't in the case correctly. I recently had a build that had this problem: one of the standoffs and motherboard screws went in incorrectly and when I tried to backout the screw the standoff came out of the case instead. I had to take everything apart to separate the screw from the standoff then reseat the board correctly.

Solution

Fallen29

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
I can't believe I didn't figure that out!
I had my monitor hooked up to my motherboard slot.. not my GPU. It came with an adapter and it works!
I just need to do the rest. Thanks!! Many thanks!