Monitor not showing 120hz! Need help with my G75V and an external monitor. URGENT

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jesp60812

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
Hello everyone!

I have today just acquired my new Monitor, BenQ XL2411Z which supports up to 144hz.

I wanna run 120hz on my external monitor, and then the laptop monitor off.

Problem is, I can find resolutions like 800x600 and 640x480 which can run 120hz, but I can't find any 1920x1080 120hz resolutions.
I have tried to create a custom resolution with 1920x1080 120hz, but my GPU driver just stops working.

I am connecting my screen through Mini DisplayPort -> DVI Dual Link.
I have updated every driver, and my screen's isn't listed as a PnP screen.

So yearh, I was kinda hoping anyone of you could help me out, as I would really love to run this thing in 120hz in a higher resolution than 800x600 or 640x480 120hz.

TLDR: I wanna use my BenQ XL2411Z with my G75V and run 120hz on a decent resolution. No dual screen, external monitor will be the only one to get used.

jesp60812

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014

[strike][/strike]

so TLDR: I have to buy an active adapter?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It's looking so. I'd hate to have you spend money for nothing so maybe email support@BenQ.com

Your Monitor manual. It doesn't say much about Active adapters. Will look through your laptop manual soon to see if anything there is mentioned.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
By GoodBytes

If the monitor has DisplayPort, then yes.

But if the monitor does not, and you'll use a converter down to DVI, you'll only get single link DVI. Which means that you have at best 1920x1200 @ 60Hz.

You need an active powered DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter. Those are costly, and I have no idea if the adapter support 120Hz+, as you have a circuit inside.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
LOL nothing good is ever easy, if you do buy an adapter, they wont be that much, $70 or so, and ask to return it if doesn't work. Think it will though, everything is pointing to it being the case. Look at the back of the packaging or online for the adapters rated resolution and frequencies.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Yea probably is fine with dvi to dvi the trouble is his laptop doesn't have dvi; only vga, dp and hdmi.
asusg75vtable.png

Its tricky, either dvi to dvi or dp to dp, when converting from dp to dvi is what all the fuss was about up there lol.

We'll see, np jesp60812 all the best hope it works out, get back to us if it works or not.

ZeusGamer

Admirable

Ah I didn't see that he was connecting from a laptop.

To be honest, I don't think there's a way to make a laptop go to 144 hz.

But don't quote me on that lol. Hope you guys solve this problem.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
no worries, be pretty lame for a 670m not able to do 120hz/144hz on an external monitor if that were the case. There are forums/threads with people doing so with laptops without problems. jesp can do 1080p @ 60hz with single link from dp to dvi but as mentioned in the links above, or so it seems, if he wants to go higher, the signal needs to be boosted by a power source like usb.

Anyhow this has been a learning experience for me as well.

jesp60812

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014

I've been writing with a guy from ASUS support, and he confirmed that the GPU could very well do 120hz aswell as 144hz, and he also said that it sounded like there wasn't enough bandwith, and he would suggest that I would try another cable.

So I think I have to invest in an active Minidp-> DVI-D cabel, despite being exspensive.

I'll try to get hold of an active one and return to you guys if it worked or not ^^