Question Monitor not starting up after installing new graphics card

Aug 19, 2021
I recently installed a GT 730 to my PC that has no graphics card until now but the monitor is just saying "sleep mode" and is only showing a black screen, All of the fans are moving and there were lights that shows that it booted up.

My specs:
Motherboard: NMF91-G41
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual - Core CPU E5700 @3.00GHz
PSU: 650W PSU

Aug 19, 2021
Does your display support either HDMI or DVI?

Did you connect the VGA cable directly to the new GPU and not the motherboard video port?

Closing your other post and will carry on from here.
My display supports DVI and It gave the same result. That being said, It doesn't support HDMI.

Yes, I connected the VGA cable to the new GPU.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I suspect a defective GPU, but lets try a couple things.

On the monitor, can you manually cycle the input port being used (while connected)? If so, does that make any difference?

Also, have you reset your motherboard BIOS since installing the new GPU?

Aug 19, 2021
I suspect a defective GPU, but lets try a couple things.

On the monitor, can you manually cycle the input port being used (while connected)? If so, does that make any difference?

Also, have you reset your motherboard BIOS since installing the new GPU?
It still gives me the same result.

I haven't resetted my motherboard's BIOS nor do I know how to do so.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
To reset the motherboard, do the following:

Power system down
Remove all power sources (power cable, video cable, powered speakers)
Press the power button to discharge any residual power in components
Remove the motherboard battery (keep in mind which side goes up)
Wait 1 minute
Replace the battery
Reconnect cables/devices
Upon powering on, the motherboard should be in its default state.

Also, do you have access to another PC to test the GPU in?

Aug 19, 2021

Power system down
Wait 1 minute
Replace the battery
Reconnect cables/devices

I'll try doing this.

I do but It has an APU that serves both its CPU and GPU, so I doubt it would work since it doesn't seem to be compatible.

Aug 19, 2021

Power system down
Wait 1 minute
Replace the battery
Reconnect cables/devices

The people around me keeps saying that It's not compatible and doing what you said might end up just damaging the motherboard and It's honestly demotivating me. I'm not doubting you or anything but It's supposed to be compatible with my PC right?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You can listen to the people around you (who are ill-informed if this is the advice they are giving you) or try as suggested. Up to you.

Have you confirmed that your new GPU works in any other system?

Yes, it should be compatible, by the way.

Aug 19, 2021
[/QUOTE]
You can listen to the people around you (who are ill-informed if this is the advice they are giving you) or try as suggested. Up to you.

Have you confirmed that your new GPU works in any other system?

Yes, it should be compatible, by the way.
I'll try testing it on the APU PC I mentioned before. Before that, Is it going to be compatible?

Specs:
AMD A4-5300 APU
650W PSU

I used an application on both of the PC called the CPU Z, It seems that the PC that I was gonna put my graphics card originally has PCI-Express 1.0 interface while the APU one has PCI-Express 2.0. I don't know if it being PCI-Express 1.0 interface the reason it wouldn't go in since, I heard that It should work but with less performance considering the fact that the GT 730 has a PCI-Express 2.0 x8 interface. It would be really helpful if you answer all of these questions/doubts.

Aug 19, 2021
Nope. Just install it.

The BIOS will "adjust" to use the GPU, if it works properly.
It worked on this PC, I only just had to adjust the resolution. I went to the site as the manual suggested to install the driver but it seems like its all for 64 bit PCs but I'm running on a Windows 7 32 bit PC. Should I still install the latest one for windows 7 despite it being for 64 bit?

Another question, Is my PC capable of upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit? If so, How do I upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit safely?

Thanks in advance.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
what matters is that you have a GT 730 and you have a Windows 7 32-bit system. The brand does not matter.

pretty much the driver that my GT 1030 and GTX 1050ti are using came from nvidia's site. They are the makers of the gpu, so it's safest to get from their site, not from anywhere else.

Aug 19, 2021
here is a driver for GT 730 for Windows 7 32 bit

from official nvidia website, so it's safe.

After searching up for a bit, it seems that the driver you sent me is somewhat outdated. I found this and I'm wondering if this is by chance the correct and latest one.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/132837/en-us

By the way, I installed the one that you sent me but I couldn't open the application after it was installed since it kept on saying "not responding", I figured it got corrupted since I was also getting script errors upon installing the driver. So, I'm planning to uninstall the one that you sent and install the one that I found and so I'm hoping you can confirm if it's the latest and correct one.

Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
nvidia won't put anything corrupt in their site, any driver there that is for the GT 730 Windows 7 32 bit would install your GPU. A more updated version should work just as well as an older one. You could go ahead and use the one you found as well.

Aug 19, 2021
nvidia won't put anything corrupt in their site, any driver there that is for the GT 730 Windows 7 32 bit would install your GPU. A more updated version should work just as well as an older one. You could go ahead and use the one you found as well.
It seems that I should reinstall since the application keeps saying "not responding", Thanks anyway.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
looking at the first post. I see now that your CPU is an E5700. That is similar in strength to the e8400 that I had last year. It's a bit weak, but still usable for playing certain games.

since the pc is slow, I suggest turning off other programs and also your browser when installing the driver for GT 730, so that your pc is focused on just installing the thing. Be sure that the driver you get from Nvidia is for a 32 bit system of Windows 7.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021
looking at the first post. I see now that your CPU is an E5700. That is similar in strength to the e8400 that I had last year. It's a bit weak, but still usable for playing certain games.

since the pc is slow, I suggest turning off other programs and also your browser when installing the driver for GT 730, so that your pc is focused on just installing the thing. Be sure that the driver you get from Nvidia is for a 32 bit system of Windows 7.
That's a different PC (Supposedly the one that I should be installing the GT 730 on but never worked since the motherboard has a PCI-E 1.0, As far as I think is the reason), The one that has the GT 730 is my other PC that has an AMD A4 5300 APU along with a 650W PSU.

Do you still think that it could possibly run games like Genshin Impact and Valorant?

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
glad to hear you managed to make the GPU work on one pc.

to tell the truth, Genshin Impact would be difficult as your cpu and is way below the minimum requirement for it. However, there's no harm in trying. Just to give you a bit of hope.. Soul Calibur VI requires a GTX 1050 + i3-4160, but my backup pc (you can see it's specs on my sig) can run Soul Calibur VI just fine at 720p with settings on high using just a GT 1030 + Q9650. Back to Genshin Impact... first you should have Windows 7 64 bit to be able to run the game. Once the game is installed, go to Settings.. it's the wheel icon on the left of the screenshot that I showed here. At Settings, go to Graphics .. go to Display Mode and set the size at 1280 x 720 Windowed or smaller. Goodluck.

Last edited: