Question Monitor occasionally blinks, ?? device disconnect sound simultaneous

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hello guys,

I've suffered with my monitor everyone once and a while doing a single blink. This has been happening since before I got my new computer and and before my current Windows installation.

Recently I've started hearing a device disconnect sound at the same time. Like when you unplug a USB device, but I have no idea what it is. All plugged in devices appear to be working through it.

I'd pretty much given up fixing the monitor blink. It's rare. Sometimes not even every day, others once or twice an hour. The screen is literally black for less than 200ms.

I have no idea what's going on, every avenue I've tried have turned up nothing and by now everything I've tried is a mess and I don't trust any of my own troubleshooting at this point.

Do you know what it could be? Why are these things that shouldn't be connected lining up across systems and OS installations?

Well, your monitor is an “attached device” and if you disconnect it, you will likely to hear that sound.
Monitors may fail too and when they are they may start behaving like this.
But... it can be a loosened/bad cable (power or HDMI/DVI/DP), bad (or loosened) power socket, heat issue (displays overheat too), and even bad video card port.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020
You didn't mention which type of connector it is(HDMI/VGA/DVI etc) . I had an old VGA monitor and I also had similar issues Replacing the VGA cable helped as i discovered that the VGA connector was loose. you should Check both the monitor and gpu end of the connector if something's loose.

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Thank you for your responses.
It is connected by a Displayport cable. It could possibly be the same cable I've had since I got the the monitor. I doubt very much it's the socket on the card. There were 2 on both my old and this card and the monitor had problems in all.

If the monitor could cause the device disconnect however the following could be the issue:
  • Displayport cable
  • Monitor DP socket or power socket
  • Power adapter
  • Monitor itself
Agreed?

Also it's about time I tell you which monitor it is :/ sorry. It's an Asus PG279Q.

If a mod wants to move this to 'hardware' they're welcome to. Since that's the direction it's taking.

Last edited: