Monitor only runs 144Hz with a DVI-DVI connector.

We Are Unbound

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
System basics:

Asus VG278HE 27" 144Hz Monitor
Asus ROG Crosshair w/ Ryzen 1700
2xAsus STRIX GTX 1080 TI

Alright, so first off, my monitor runs 144Hz just fine when I use my DVI-DVI cable. However, any other cable I've tried (DVI-HDMI, HDMI-HDMI, HDMI-DP, DVI-DP) doesn't even give me the option. Just now, I was running happily at 144Hz, swapped the cable to my DVI-DP, down to 60Hz. 144Hz option just disappears.

1.png

Currently, the monitor is being recognized as a Generic PnP Monitor.

2.png

I've downloaded the Asus MultiFrame software from their website, but that's the only driver-ish thing I can find. Strangely enough, the nVidia Control Panel recognizes it:

3.png

I tend to think that's not the issue, since it runs 144Hz sometimes. Enabling/Disabling SLI has no impact. I can force the monitor to run at 144Hz, but no one will be surprised to find that it just blacks out and resets back to 60Hz a minute later.

4.png

Ideas?

We Are Unbound

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
None of these are adapters, all separate cables. No, no particular reason to switch, but DVI is so last millenium, seems like it should be time for an upgrade. I have considered that possibility, and I've stuck to the DVI cable for exactly that reason, but there's no good reason why HDMI or DP shouldn't work. Been avoiding this for months, decided it was about time to figure it out.

Feb 28, 2019
This is exactly my problem - I have the Asus VG278HE, just upgraded to a 2060, which only has DP & HDMI, and I can't get it to work at 144Hz. OP's screenshots are exactly my scenario. So my upgrade from an R9 390 has in some way been an expensive downgrade. The OP has helped by pointing out that he found the DVI-D to DVI-D to be the only way to run HFR on this display. I also just bought a new cable (DP w/ 4k/UHD/Hi speed support to DVI-D), and same results, max 60 Hz.

Anyone with similar experience, and any solutions? I've talked to NVidia, they recommended disconnecting the computer and restarting.

Feb 28, 2019
I'd seen those and thought, how the hell can someone sell something like that at those prices (I saw one for about AU$250), while we have straight cables in the 5 to 40 range. And now I'm here … Or I could consider toughing it out at 60 Hz until I can get a new display.

Thanks SkyNetRising for giving some solid information.

TRENDING THREADS