Question Monitor only turns on if computer on, and unplugged for hours

MrWoodenSheep

Honorable
Apr 26, 2015
So recently my 2nd monitor (around 9 years old), has been having a strange issue. It's a Samsung TV, that I use for my PC. Whenever I sleep for the night, I turn off my PC, both monitors, and turn off the power to each device from the outlet splitter in the wall. One day, upon trying to turn on the 2nd monitor, pressing the power button wouldn't turn it on, despite seeing that power was going to it via the blue LED everytime I turned on the power from the outlet. No matter how many times I pressed the power button, it wouldn't turn on. (In case it changes anything, the power button on this Samsung monitor is one of those awful touch ones).

Well eventually the issue evolved, where now the power LED doesn't even blink, and the only way I figured out how to fix it, was completely unplugging the monitor from the outlet for the night. I assumed this was some sort of electricity build up.
This worked for a few days, however now even that won't work. Instead, I can only get the monitor to turn on somewhere in the middle of the day. AFTER I have powered on my PC, and after I continue to leave it unplugged for a few hours in the day.

This confuses me, because I would expect that if it was some power issue, it would work after being unplugged in the night, but now it will only do so if the PC is powered, AND it's unplugged for a few more hours.

I've tried switching the power cable, and switching its position in the outlet splitter, and none have fixed it. My other monitor worked just fine in any situation, whereas this faulty one seems to be faulty within the device.
Any help is really appreciated, as I have no idea where to go forward now. Cheers!

MrWoodenSheep

Honorable
Apr 26, 2015
Yea, definitely sounds like an issue with the power, and yea 9 years is a good run for sure, so not too fussed if I have to replace it. I was just wondering if it's not actually broken since I can get it to work 100% fine. The only issue being that it needs a specific set of rules to actually turn on!

MrWoodenSheep

Honorable
Apr 26, 2015
Any other replies are really appreciated.
I've been going 2 weeks now with this issue, and it feels like a waste to buy a new monitor since it works perfectly fine after I can get it to turn on. Anything I can try to do to fix it?

MrWoodenSheep

Honorable
Apr 26, 2015
bring it for a test at a tv shop for repair and let see the cost for it you might be better with a new one since old parts for power on this might not be available or to expensive to replace over the price of a new one .

Appreciate the reply, although before I spend time and money on taking it to a shop, will wait to see if people have any suggestions on troubleshooting it myself.

The monitor works fine, is just picky on when it turns on.

Thanks again!

Last edited: