Question Monitor only works on boot, then it dies.

Jun 17, 2020
Hello everyone,

So i've always used 2 monitors with my setup without running into any trouble. Now I had to disconnect my main monitor because I wanted to use it for something else. After I was done, i plugged in all the cables as usual but now only my second monitor turned on.

At first i thought something was wrong with the cable or that i hadn't plugged it in correctly. However after doing some testing, i discovered that my monitor and the cable work fine. I disconnected my second monitor, and just had my main monitor plugged into the GPU. When i booted my PC i saw the bios loading screen. For a second I thought that I had fixed the problem, however the moment the windows loading screen was about to pop up the screen went black to saying it had 'no source'.

I now thought it had to be software related, so i plugged in my other monitor which worked just fine to see what the problem could be. After checking the GPU drivers and updating everything it still didn't work.

After hours of looking on the internet and other forums i couldn't find a solution for my problem, so I decided to whipe my pc completely.

After I did this, it still only recognized my second monitor. After downloading drivers and doing some more testing I still couldn't fix the problem.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Specs:
Monitor 1: MSI Optix MAG241C --> DisplayPort Cable
Monitor 2: HP Compaq LA2306x --> DVI Cable

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
RAM: 2x 8GB DDR4 Kingston
Motherboard: ASUS X470-F Gaming
Hard disk: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1 TB

The motherboard seems to recognize my MSI monitor, but windows doesn't.

Windows detect, device manager, and NVIDIA control panel all don't even detect the device.

Link to the video I made showing the problem:
View: https://youtu.be/URMh0ac_HZQ

Feel free to ask any questions!

Hello everyone,

So i've always used 2 monitors with my setup without running into any trouble. Now I had to disconnect my main monitor because I wanted to use it for something else. After I was done, i plugged in all the cables as usual but now only my second monitor turned on.

At first i thought something was wrong with the cable or that i hadn't plugged it in correctly. However after doing some testing, i discovered that my monitor and the cable work fine. I disconnected my second monitor, and just had my main monitor plugged into the GPU. When i booted my PC i saw the bios loading screen. For a second I thought that I had fixed the problem, however the moment the windows loading screen was about to pop up the screen went black to saying it had 'no source'.

I now thought it had to be software related, so i plugged in my other monitor which worked just fine to see what the problem could be. After checking the GPU drivers and updating everything it still didn't work.

After hours of looking on the internet and other forums i couldn't find a solution for my problem, so I decided to whipe my pc completely.

After I did this, it still only recognized my second monitor. After downloading drivers and doing some more testing I still couldn't fix the problem.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Specs:
Monitor 1: MSI Optix MAG241C --> DisplayPort Cable
Monitor 2: HP Compaq LA2306x --> DVI Cable

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
RAM: 2x 8GB DDR4 Kingston
Motherboard: ASUS X470-F Gaming
Hard disk: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1 TB

The motherboard seems to recognize my MSI monitor, but windows doesn't.

Windows detect, device manager, and NVIDIA control panel all don't even detect the device.

Link to the video I made showing the problem:
View: https://youtu.be/URMh0ac_HZQ

Feel free to ask any questions!
Weird, so you can't change the resolution of the nonworking monitor at all after the other monitor works? Its not in display options?