[SOLVED] Monitor only works when I boot it and my pc at the same time

Mar 18, 2021
So I recently built a new pc and bought a Asus TUF VG24VQ monitor. I’m using a DisplayPort connection, and if I turn my monitor on before or after my pc is booted it’ll just say there’s no DisplayPort signal and go black. The monitor buttons don’t even work when my pc is like this, and the monitor settings don’t show up. The only way i can get my monitor to display my pc is by turning my pc and monitor on at the same time. Is this normal, or is my monitor broken in someway.

Solution
The only way i can get my monitor to display my pc is by turning my pc and monitor on at the same time.
what does this mean exactly?
you have to wait for a certain sound during the boot process to turn your monitor on,
you wait for certain system lights to be enabled,
you hit power on the PC and then the monitor,
or you try to turn them both on with both hands simultaneously?

the problem could be either your GPU is failing to detect the display or the display is failing to come out of some type of low power state.
with the former, the monitor's OSD menu and it's buttons should still function.
with the latter, it could mean the monitor has malfunctioned.

try leaving the monitor on constantly.
when you put your PC into...
The only way i can get my monitor to display my pc is by turning my pc and monitor on at the same time.
what does this mean exactly?
you have to wait for a certain sound during the boot process to turn your monitor on,
you wait for certain system lights to be enabled,
you hit power on the PC and then the monitor,
or you try to turn them both on with both hands simultaneously?

the problem could be either your GPU is failing to detect the display or the display is failing to come out of some type of low power state.
with the former, the monitor's OSD menu and it's buttons should still function.
with the latter, it could mean the monitor has malfunctioned.

try leaving the monitor on constantly.
when you put your PC into standby\sleep, hibernate, or power it down just leave the monitor on and let it go into it's sleep mode.
see if when you awake or power on your PC if it is correctly detected and powers on correctly in this situation.

you can also try different DisplayPort cables. it's possible that a damaged or low quality cable could not be able to send the proper signal to enable "wake up" to the display.

Reactions: SliperySlope
Solution
Mar 18, 2021
I tried using an hdmi cable and it seems to work perfectly so it’s probably a bad cable. I’m using the one they sent me with my monitor. Thanks.

Last edited: