Monitor Only Works With HDMI, but I Need Sound

MyPocket

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
hi there! My Nvidia 780 GTX doesn't work with any Dvi cable I've tried, but the HDMI cord works fine. When I plug a Dvi cord (I've tried Dvi-d and Dvi-i in all ports with several different cords), I get no signal to my ASUS monitor. But HDMI from card to monitor works fine. Problem is, I can't use speakers when using the HDMI cord, because it takes over the sound.

I've plugged the monitor in to other PCs and it works fine with Dvi. So I'm assuming it's an issue with the VCard but I don't know how to troubleshoot that.

Is there a way to use HDMI and re-route sound to the headphone jack or speaker lines? I don't mind using the HDMI connection, but I need sound.

I'm running Win7 and have an ASUS Maximus Hero motherboard.

Thanks for any help you can pass along.

Solution
Right click the sound icon in the bottom right and select playback devices. From there you can choose to have the sound come out through some other device instead of through HDMI.

OriginalCadaver

Reputable
May 24, 2014
You should be able to disable the HDMI sound output. Right click on the volume control icon in the task bar then choose playback devices. You should see your onboard sound outputs as well as the HDMI sound. Make whichever you prefer the default device and you should be good to go.