Question Monitor or GPU not working properly

dragoiualex

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
I don't know if this is in the correct group since i can't exactly pinpoint if it's the GPU or my monitor. I have 2 old-ish DELL monitors (2015), one is connected via DisplayPort, one is HDMI -> VGA because it doesn't have HDMI (what can I say, it was like 80$ used monitor and i'm not that picky). Issue started...i don't know when, some couple of days ago. I have an MSI RTX 3060 with 1 HDMI and 3 DP plugs. The issue is, at this moment, I can use only one of the display ports because the other 2 do not detect the monitor. Now this would be fine and think it's the GPU and that's that but today after unplugging everything from the wall for about 2 hours while cleaning the PC, after i powered it on, there it was, the monitor would be working fine in the other 2 display plugs. And then it wouldn't work again. The cable itself has, at one end, slightly gone apart at the plug because of the way cable management was done (through a desk arm that goes in the back and the cable goes into the arm at about or even below 90 degrees angle, so it could be the cable too?) Or is it the GPU? I'd rather it not be the GPU since it's only 1 year old, no problems before, i don't even remember if I ever plugged it in the other 2 plugs and just this one is not working.

Much appreciated!

First update: Tried to plug in with only the DisplayPort cable, works fine for both monitors BUT, unplugging the HDMI the other monitor and using it just with the "faulty" monitor, it flickers like 7-8 times until image is shown, which does not happen on the other monitor. So it might be the monitor?

I don't know if this is in the correct group since i can't exactly pinpoint if it's the GPU or my monitor. I have 2 old-ish DELL monitors (2015), one is connected via DisplayPort, one is HDMI -> VGA because it doesn't have HDMI (what can I say, it was like 80$ used monitor and i'm not that picky). Issue started...i don't know when, some couple of days ago. I have an MSI RTX 3060 with 1 HDMI and 3 DP plugs. The issue is, at this moment, I can use only one of the display ports because the other 2 do not detect the monitor. Now this would be fine and think it's the GPU and that's that but today after unplugging everything from the wall for about 2 hours while cleaning the PC, after i powered it on, there it was, the monitor would be working fine in the other 2 display plugs. And then it wouldn't work again. The cable itself has, at one end, slightly gone apart at the plug because of the way cable management was done (through a desk arm that goes in the back and the cable goes into the arm at about or even below 90 degrees angle, so it could be the cable too?) Or is it the GPU? I'd rather it not be the GPU since it's only 1 year old, no problems before, i don't even remember if I ever plugged it in the other 2 plugs and just this one is not working.

Much appreciated!

First update: Tried to plug in with only the DisplayPort cable, works fine for both monitors BUT, unplugging the HDMI the other monitor and using it just with the "faulty" monitor, it flickers like 7-8 times until image is shown, which does not happen on the other monitor. So it might be the monitor?
Cheapest and easiest thing to check first would be the cable. You can get a DP > VGA cable for about $10 new and that will tell you a lot. https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Adapter-Benfei-Gold-Plated-Compatible/dp/B01GPMRYNM