Monitor or HDTV for Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

angry12345

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Whats the opinion? I am guessing Monitor but just wanted to verify which is going to give the best experience. I see some HDTVs with lower than 5ms input now so wasnt sure if that might be way to go

Also if a monitor, should I go with an LED monitor over an LCD.. I would assume yes, but not sure with how video cards etc if I can apply same rules for HDTV to a monitor

Solution
Most newer-model mainstream TVs and monitors all have 60Hz HDMI inputs while the output speed after processing is what is noted on the box; primarily 120Hz or 240Hz on TVs these days. You would get similar performance whichever you went with. I like the LED monitors or TVs better. It's all a matter of personal preference and how you want to arrange the furniture. I would think you'd go with something called a TV because it has a larger screen. While the smaller monitor, in my opinion, tends to give the whole thing a more personal feel.

The picture definitely differs from brand to brand. Go to the local electronics shops and check out the pictures. Try out the controls too. I've noticed a lot of shops will dull down the pictures...
Most newer-model mainstream TVs and monitors all have 60Hz HDMI inputs while the output speed after processing is what is noted on the box; primarily 120Hz or 240Hz on TVs these days. You would get similar performance whichever you went with. I like the LED monitors or TVs better. It's all a matter of personal preference and how you want to arrange the furniture. I would think you'd go with something called a TV because it has a larger screen. While the smaller monitor, in my opinion, tends to give the whole thing a more personal feel.

The picture definitely differs from brand to brand. Go to the local electronics shops and check out the pictures. Try out the controls too. I've noticed a lot of shops will dull down the pictures of those units they aren't pushing while optimizing the screens of those they are pushing at a particular point in time. Playing with the settings allows you to optimize the picture.

Solution

angry12345

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
I should point out that this is only for gaming. I have a 55" HDTV already for watching tv. I just been using a 21" Trinitron monitor for 10 years, and while it still works great and I do like them, the contrast certainly suffers.

sounds like I need to go with an LED.

I had read about the different kinds, the Twisted Nematics (TN), IPS, and MVA technologies.

While they are cheaper, I do not want a TN monitor due to their poor color. Is there a way to see which technology each monitor is made on?

I am thinking about spending $300 to $500.

Seems like Viewsonic and Asus make the nice monitors and for a HDTV id go Samsung or Sony.

angry12345

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

Excellent! +1

Let me as your opinion. I am new to all this TN, IPS, MVA junk, so which would you personally suggest for gaming needs taking in consideration the price range?

And is there really that large of a viewing difference in quality between the techs. Keeping in mind im coming from a CRT Trinitron

What sort of difference is there between 8 and 6 bit?

Basically, educate me on what to look at when buying a monitor..

I had read that the type following by lag, followed by 60 to 120 hz would be the biggest 3 difference makers, but obviously there is more to this

Status
Not open for further replies.