Question Monitor + peripherals disconnect randomly, pc goes to sleep, have to turn off at mains to restart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2019
Hello,
Ive recently built a new PC with these specs:
CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU - GIGABYTE 2080 8GB
MOBO - ASUS ROG Strix B450-F
RAM - Corsair RGB Vengeance 2x 8GB DDR4 2666mHz
PSU - Corsair HX750i 750W
M.2 SSD - WD BLUE 3D NAND 250GB
Monitors: 1x DELL S2719DGF, 1x BenQ XL2720T

After playing games for an hour or so the monitor seems to randomly disconnect along with the mouse and keyboard. All of the RGB and fans continue to run normally and everything remains cool inside the case.
Monitor displays 'no source found' and is unable to reconnect even on replugging the DP cable, I have to restart my pc from the power switch to get it to reboot.

-----what ive tried so far----
*updating graphics card drivers
*different HDMI and DisplayPort cables
*different monitor
*checked event viewer and there are seemingly no relevant logs
*re-seated graphics card into different PCI-E slot
*checked internal power supply cables
*tried DP cable into mobo directly and still no signal found

Im not 100% sure this is a motherboard issue and i would appreciate any help in working out whats wrong, as this is my first PC and im new to building!

Thanks in advance,
Charlie

It could be a temperature issue or a power issue.....especially being it takes an hour for it to happen.

Being the PC is new.....I would lean more on it being a temp issue,

Have you checked your temps?

If not....that's what I would do next.

You can do this with Afterburner or HWInfo.....and there are a bunch of other apps that will check temps as well.

In general you want your CPU under 70C and GPU under 80C.

Jun 26, 2019
It could be a temperature issue or a power issue.....especially being it takes an hour for it to happen.

Being the PC is new.....I would lean more on it being a temp issue,

Have you checked your temps?

If not....that's what I would do next.

You can do this with Afterburner or HWInfo.....and there are a bunch of other apps that will check temps as well.

In general you want your CPU under 70C and GPU under 80C.

Hi,

Ive checked my temps with CAM and everything stays consistently below 60C, this afternoon it went off when the computer was just idle
I have thought about my power supply though as the fan doesn't activate until it reaches a certain temperature? - maybe its turning on to cool after extended use and crashes the pc?

Hi,

Ive checked my temps with CAM and everything stays consistently below 60C, this afternoon it went off when the computer was just idle
I have thought about my power supply though as the fan doesn't activate until it reaches a certain temperature? - maybe its turning on to cool after extended use and crashes the pc?
I thought about the PSU as well....because when they heat up.....they output less.

...but I didn't really "go there" because it's a new PSU.....but I've had new things fail on me plenty.....so it's definitely possible.

You can check your voltages with HWInfo. The main ones are +12V, +5V and + 3.3V. You want them to remain within 5% of those values. I think HWInfo also lets you setup a log file (I may be mistaken....but I'm pretty sure).....and this way you can log the voltages right up to the crash and look at them the next time you boot.

Jun 26, 2019
I thought about the PSU as well....because when they heat up.....they output less.

...but I didn't really "go there" because it's a new PSU.....but I've had new things fail on me plenty.....so it's definitely possible.

You can check your voltages with HWInfo. The main ones are +12V, +5V and + 3.3V. You want them to remain within 5% of those values. I think HWInfo also lets you setup a log file (I may be mistaken....but I'm pretty sure).....and this way you can log the voltages right up to the crash and look at them the next time you boot.

Got HWinfo and voltages stay well within 5% across all three! Attempted to set up a log file so i will get back to you after it next crashes.

Jun 26, 2019
Hi,
So just before posting on wednesday, i had re-seated the graphics card, which seemed to have helped all day yesterday whilst i was playing GTAV for 7 hours straight.
However, i turned the PC on this morning and tried to launch GTAV again and it crashed (the same way as usual) during launching the game.

In addition, i have been monitoring temperature of the power supply from my second monitor, the power supply reached 60C+ yesterday and the fans activated to 1500rpm at peak without any sign of a crash.

Also, unsure if this is relevant: the computer stops logging anything in event logs 40 minutes before the "KernelPower event id 41": which is evidently me cutting the power at the switch after it crashes.

I believe i have created a log file on HWiNFO not sure how long it was logging for but its a very long document when opened in word pad, how/what should i do to view this info clearly?

Thanks in advance,
Charlie

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019
Hello,
Ive recently built a new PC with these specs:
CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU - GIGABYTE 2080 8GB
MOBO - ASUS ROG Strix B450-F
RAM - Corsair RGB Vengeance 2x 8GB DDR4 2666mHz
PSU - Corsair HX750i 750W
M.2 SSD - WD BLUE 3D NAND 250GB
Monitors: 1x DELL S2719DGF, 1x BenQ XL2720T

Generally the time it takes to disconnect is different every time. So the monitor seems to randomly disconnect along with the mouse and keyboard.

All of the RGB and fans continue to run normally and everything remains cool inside the case (temps all below 60C).

Monitor displays 'no source found' and is unable to reconnect even on replugging the DP cable, I have to restart my pc from the power switch to get it to reboot.

I thought the power supply might have been an issue with the fact that the fan doesnt activate until it reaches 60C --- soI have been monitoring temperature of the power supply from my second monitor, the power supply reached 60C+ yesterday and the fans activated to 1500rpm at peak and no crash at all

-----what ive tried so far----
*updating graphics card drivers
*different HDMI and DisplayPort cables
*different monitor
*no relevant event logs, however the computer stops logging anything in event logs 40 minutes before the "KernelPower event id 41": which is evidently me cutting the power at the switch after it crashes.
*re-seated graphics card into different PCI-E slot
*checked internal power supply cables
*tried DP cable into mobo directly and still no signal found

Im not 100% sure this is a graphics card issue and i would appreciate any help in working out whats wrong, as this is my first PC and im new to building!

Thanks in advance,
Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS