Monitor port?? K8V-SE DLX

ok, as soon as everyone gets thru laughing at this, could someone give me an
answer?? I have just bought my 3d ASUS board in 12 yrs and am damned if I can
find a monitor port on the back plane. there simply is no FEMALE 15 pin plug
in.

do I have to buy a separate graphics board for the monitor?? what the hey???

thanks and if I was not so frustrated, I would be laughing too.
point is, the damned manual does not say anything about an IO on the backplane
other than a serial MALE 9? pin.

HELP???

thanks
chas
--
chas
The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

Paul

Splendid

In article <37vah01npupv29isjk1p83sahnb3c53opm@4ax.com>, chasm@texas.net wrote:

> ok, as soon as everyone gets thru laughing at this, could someone give me an
> answer?? I have just bought my 3d ASUS board in 12 yrs and am damned if I can
> find a monitor port on the back plane. there simply is no FEMALE 15 pin plug
> in.
>
> do I have to buy a separate graphics board for the monitor?? what the hey???
>
> thanks and if I was not so frustrated, I would be laughing too.
> point is, the damned manual does not say anything about an IO on the backplane
> other than a serial MALE 9? pin.
>
> HELP???
>
> thanks
> chas

Motherboards that come equipped with integrated graphics, are generally
microATX in shape, have three PCI slots, and have names that end in
-VM or -MX. Examples would be A7N8X-VM/400, P4R800-VM, P4P800-VM,
A7V8X-MX, and so on. These boards usually have an AGP slot, and if
you find the performance of the built-in graphics too pokey, you
can later replace the onboard graphics by plugging in an AGP video
card.

For the full size ATX boards, with five or six PCI slots, generally
the user provides graphics via a separately purchased PCI or AGP
video card. If you just need a frame buffer, without anything in
the way of fancy 3D graphics, an Nvidia MX440, Nvidia FX5200,
an ATI 7000 or low end 9000 family board can do that. Similarly,
there are some PCI versions of these type of cards, that can be
used on motherboards that don't even have an AGP slot.

To get a feel for pricing, click the Search button under the left
hand options fields in the following link. That will give you a
list of a couple hundred cards, sorted by price. The cheapest
reasonable card there, just to give you some kind of display,
is the ATI7000 based card for $28.50.

http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=48&DEPA=0

The low end cards run cool enough, that they don't even need a fan.
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-142-021&DEPA=0

You need a 1.5V AGP card, one that advertises 4X or 8X AGP transfer
speed, if you are going to use an AGP card for graphics. The AGP card
has to be recent enough, that it is not a 3.3V-only AGP card. Look
at the bottom of the web page on the first link below - your purchase
should look like case (e) or case (h), as your motherboard has a
plastic key marking the motherboard as 1.5V only. A 3.3/1.5V universal
card will run at 1.5V for you and is compatible. (The ones with Rage
in the product name, for the most part, are 3.3V only cards and cannot
be inserted into your motherboard AGP slot.)

(ATI product info)
http://mirror.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html
http://www.ati.com/support/agpchart/agp.html

I don't know if Nvidia offers product pages like that or not.

If you plan on gaming, then take a look around tomshardware.com, for
some of their jumbo comparison articles, where they compare the
various models of video cards in large charts. Using the charts, and
keeping a list of prices handy, you can pick a card based on how
big a budget you've got.

HTH,
Paul

Paul wrote:

>http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=48&DEPA=0
>
>The low end cards run cool enough, that they don't even need a fan.
>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-142-021&DEPA=0
>
>You need a 1.5V AGP card, one that advertises 4X or 8X AGP transfer
>speed, if you are going to use an AGP card for graphics.

so, I honest to God have to buy something to plug my monitor into, is that
correct?? if so, that is just unbelievable. or, I am one old fart that needs
to roll up and head for the Old Soldiers Home.

jeeze!!

--

Paul wrote:

>Motherboards that come equipped with integrated graphics, are generally
>microATX in shape, have three PCI slots, and have names that end in
>-VM or -MX. Examples would be A7N8X-VM/400, P4R800-VM, P4P800-VM,
>A7V8X-MX, and so on. These boards usually have an AGP slot, and if
>you find the performance of the built-in graphics too pokey, you
>can later replace the onboard graphics by plugging in an AGP video
>card.

this will be the first board without a monitor plug in the backplane...
I am still using a
Tyan Tiger MP
ASUS K6 and an
ASUS A7V

all of those have a place to plug in a monitor. My two HP boxes are ditto and
so on. I am simply astonished if I have to buy something to provide a place to
plug in the monitor.

this is a rude awakening.

--
chas
The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

Paul_in_NC

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004

What rock have you been living under?
Video card dapters have been around for at least 10 years and more.
This has to be a joke.

Wait wait! I get it!
"...Don't feed the trolls..."
Oops, guess I just did?

Paul_in_NC

"schuetzen - RKBA!" <chasm@texas.net> wrote in message
> Paul wrote:
>

> >Motherboards that come equipped with integrated graphics, are generally
> >microATX in shape, have three PCI slots, and have names that end in
> >-VM or -MX. Examples would be A7N8X-VM/400, P4R800-VM, P4P800-VM,
> >A7V8X-MX, and so on. These boards usually have an AGP slot, and if
> >you find the performance of the built-in graphics too pokey, you
> >can later replace the onboard graphics by plugging in an AGP video
> >card.
>
> this will be the first board without a monitor plug in the backplane...
> I am still using a
> Tyan Tiger MP
> ASUS K6 and an
> ASUS A7V
>
> all of those have a place to plug in a monitor. My two HP boxes are ditto
and
> so on. I am simply astonished if I have to buy something to provide a
place to
> plug in the monitor.
>
> this is a rude awakening.
>

> --
> chas
> The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

Sorry, but I am NOT a troll, I abhor such.
as I stated, this is the very first mobo I have bought in the last 12 to 15 yrs
which did NOT have built in graphics support for a monitor on the board and NO
plug in on the backplane. The A7V had a daughterboard for AGP as I remember,
but there was still a monitor port back there. The Tyan Tiger MP which is a
64bit twin CPU has one, and of course, all the ASUS K6 boards (again, as I
remember) also had monitor plug ins.

I may be going on 61 this October but I have been building PCs for a lot of
years and this is genuinely the very first MOBO without the monitor port.
I have bought sound boards and lots of other PCI stuff but never felt the need
to improve on what came built into the mobo. until now,

I have just purchased an ATI Radeon 9600 XT which is due in here on Mon or Tues
on rush order along with a copy of XP Pro. Now I learn that my (new to me) SATA
HDD will not run without SP1 (sigh!). So now I have to boot on an EIDE drive.

btw... does anyone know of any problems with this board running on SuSE 9.1?

thanks
--
chas
The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc
to avoid the infestation on rec.photo.digital

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 09:50:44 GMT, "Paul_in_NC"
<paulwilliamsREMOVETHIS@THISTOOnc.rr.com> wrote:

>What rock have you been living under?
>Video card dapters have been around for at least 10 years and more.
>This has to be a joke.
>
>Wait wait! I get it!
>"...Don't feed the trolls..."
>Oops, guess I just did?

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

> I have just purchased an ATI Radeon 9600 XT which is due in here on Mon or
Tues
> on rush order along with a copy of XP Pro. Now I learn that my (new to
me) SATA
> HDD will not run without SP1 (sigh!). So now I have to boot on an EIDE
drive.

Surely just press F6 when the XP setup prompts you to at the very start of
setup and load the SATA drivers?

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 18:14:30 +0100, "Phil" <_invalid_@no_spam_.invalid_> wrote:

>Surely just press F6 when the XP setup prompts you to at the very start of
>setup and load the SATA drivers?

oh yeah, I really need to go to bed and get some sleep.
I am sure that a CD came with the Seagate HDDs so I can just stick that in.
still, a matter of timing. boots off the CD (XP) then it PNPs and I add the
drivers for everything else including the HDDs.

yes indeed. got to quit.

oh, another problem. My Antec TruPower 550 which was on the Tyan machine, does
not have a SQUARE 12V plug to go into the mobo receptacle. also, the Antec does
not have capability of anything less than 3.3V while I believe, the mobo is
going to want 1.5V .... hope it can manufacture that on the board or do I have
to replace my P/S also?? If I can use the P/S, where do I get a conversion from
a flat 22?ga 4 pin 12v to that square plug???

Lord this is getting to be more than I thought it would be. should have left
this darned server alone and bought another box and started off from scratch..

thanks for the info

--

> On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 18:14:30 +0100, "Phil" <_invalid_@no_spam_.invalid_>
wrote:

> >Surely just press F6 when the XP setup prompts you to at the very start
of
> >setup and load the SATA drivers?
>
> oh yeah, I really need to go to bed and get some sleep.
> I am sure that a CD came with the Seagate HDDs so I can just stick that
in.
> still, a matter of timing. boots off the CD (XP) then it PNPs and I add
the
> drivers for everything else including the HDDs.
>
> yes indeed. got to quit.
>
> oh, another problem. My Antec TruPower 550 which was on the Tyan machine,
does
> not have a SQUARE 12V plug to go into the mobo receptacle. also, the
Antec does
> not have capability of anything less than 3.3V while I believe, the mobo
is
> going to want 1.5V .... hope it can manufacture that on the board or do I
have
> to replace my P/S also?? If I can use the P/S, where do I get a
conversion from
> a flat 22?ga 4 pin 12v to that square plug???
>
> Lord this is getting to be more than I thought it would be. should have
left
> this darned server alone and bought another box and started off from
scratch..

> thanks for the info
>

> --
> chas
> The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

The Truepower PSU will be fine, all voltages below 3.3V are generated by the
board (for the AGP, DIMMs, VCORE etc)

Read some of Pauls v. detailed posts on this subject to find out how they
derive the smaller voltages, I couldn't even begin to explain it as well as
him.