Question Monitor powering off every minute or two

coldfunk

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
The monitor is a Viewsonic VX2753mh-LED.

So, this used to be a rare occurrence where the monitor would shut off while playing a game and it would only happen once every few months. Suddenly now it's happening every minute or two starting yesterday. I've narrowed it down (99% sure) to the monitor itself, as opposed to being caused by the computer/video card.

First, I've tried another monitor and everything works fine under the same circumstances (in this case, playing Return to castle Wolfenstein over the last 2 days). Second, the power indicator on the monitor turns off completely for about 2-3 seconds and turns back on along with the Viewsonic logo, which happens when you power it on manually as intended. It has a blue light when a video signal is present, and turns orange when in "rest" mode. So it goes blue-black-blue every time this happens.

I read that some if not all monitors power off when they overheat and I'm wondering if this might be my issue. I also read that as opposed to older monitors it takes more power to display darker colors than brighter ones. This might explain why it doesn't happen while I'm browsing the web i.e. typing this. If I were to launch the game, it would probably start happening again every few minutes. And if I leave the window displaying my desktop, which has a dark background, it also happens. I just minimized the window to confirm this, it only took 15 seconds to trigger it.

So, could the monitor be overheating OR some other issue within the monitor itself that causes it to power down specifically when it is displaying dark colors?

I'm not sure how to proceed from here. I was going to buy a replacement power cable to test the first cheapest potential solution, but I'm not sure it's related in the first place. It seems certain manufacturers can ship you replacement boards or other internal parts, but I'm not sure the costs and shipping etc. would be that much different than buying a new monitor. One with the same specs these days being right around 200$ CAD. It is about 7 years old now. Also, room temperature is around 30c these days.

Has anyone experienced this same issue or heard of something similar before?

Last edited:

coldfunk

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Mobo Maximus VIII Hero
i7 6700k stock
GTX 1070 Strix
G.Skill @2400 8gig x4
PSU OCZ Fatality 750w

Temps are fine as usual, ~45c under current game load, fans don't even need to turn on. It's an old game.

But as stated above, this happens out of game, as well as not happening on another monitor (TV basically, but I could test it with an older 21" vga monitor I have in some closet somewhere..) happening specifically on darker screens. Sitting on my desktop with a mostly black wallpaper triggers this very often, but while browsing webpages (most of which are white/bright) does not trigger it at all. I cranked up the brightness in game as much as I could, and it does seem to happen less frequently, say every 3-4 minutes versus every minute or so.

coldfunk

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
It seems to have gotten worst, happening more frequently overall since it started yesterday. I'm guessing some part of it is dying.. I switched over to using my TV for the past hour or so as a result, without a hitch. I'll have to look into it some more, or opt for a new monitor I guess.

Still, curious as to why the monitor is acting this way suddenly and only under said circumstances.

Last edited: