Monitor problem with new GPU

Metal-Maniac

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Since I got a GTX 580 my monitor (Asus VK222) started having problems. When I run something graphic intense, the screen starts shivering. Some say it is a Vsync issue but I'm sure this one's different. Looks more of a refresh rate thing. Please help me solve this, I can't play anything :(

Solution
It could be the power supply causing the problem if there is high ripple on the +12 Volt rail(s) when that rail is under a heavy current draw.

Metal-Maniac

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
I forgot some details that might help:
The monitor is plugged on the GPU with a VGA cable and a DVI adapter.
My resolution is set on my monitor's native 1680x1050 and the refresh rate is 60hz.

Rest of my system specs
MB Asus Stryker II Formula
CPU Core 2duo 8400 3Ghz
PSU Etasis ET750
RAM Transcend AxeRam 4 GB at 1333 mhz
HDDs Two seagate baracuda 500 GB and 2 TB
OS Windows 7 Pro

Metal-Maniac

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
I turn on Vsync on every game that has that option. I've even forced it on through Nvidia control panel. Nothing.

What do you mean by "the numbers don't add up it's telling lies"??

It's a perfectly good 750w PSU...

Etasis Electronics makes very good power supply units. They're known for producing power supply units for the server/enterprise market.

The home-user market is new for them.

Two models, the ST30NF and the ST45NF , in the SilverStone Nightjar Series fan-less power supply units are OEM'd by Etasis Electronics.

Geef

Distinguished

Try setting it to play the games at 59Hz refresh rate instead of 60. I'm just guessing on this but you can always test it out and see.

Have you tried connecting the graphics card to the monitor using a DVI cable instead of a VGA cable (i.e. digital video signal instead of analog signal)?

Metal-Maniac

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Ok I've found how to create custom resolutions and refresh rates on Nvidia Control Panel. I've set up a 1680x1050 resolution at 59hz but still had problems. Before that the screen would severely tear up into hundreds of horizontal shivery parts. At 59hz the tearing looks just like when Vsync is off maybe worse.

I seriously don't know what to do, except maybe buy a new monitor (The humanity)

Metal-Maniac

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
So to sum it up: Asus VK222 monitor and GeForce GTX 580 DO NOT like each other. Unless it is some other weird issue I cannot understand, It appears I do not have Vsync whatsoever even though it is forced on at all times.

Metal-Maniac

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
I really can't try a dvi cable. I can try a different VGA through.

I've actually spoken with a couple of tech guys and they concluded it's either a GPU power supply issue due to a 6-pin/8-pin converter I used OR there's something wrong with the GPU. It doesn't seem to be a monitor issue.

Is your monitor model the VK222S which only has the D-Sub 15-pin VGA port?

Did you press the A button for 2 seconds to automatically adjust the image to its optimized position, clock, and phase when the image was "shivering"?

Did you try to adjust the Phase and Clock settings via the OSD?

Metal-Maniac

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
That's my monitor allright. Although I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'm not even sure if it is a monitor issue. On another forum they blamed my old cr@appy PSU and the tech support people blamed the 6-pin/8-pin converter... One even suggested the GeForce is faulty. I wish I had the funds to get a full HD monitor and a brand new PSU and be done with it :/

Metal-Maniac

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
From what I've seen when my problem appears on the screen, the words ripple and heavy current draw make perfect sense :p

That does it. I'm testing the GPU on a friends computer just to be sure and then I'm ordering a brand new shinny PSU...

Yep. That's what I would do. Hopefully you friend's PSU is capable of powering your card.

Metal-Maniac

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
He's got an HD 6950 and a core i7 so I think it'll be fine. I doubt there's anything wrong with my new GeForce but you know, better safe than sorry. I was gonna do a full upgrade on my PC eventually. As you can see in my system specs, I kinda need it... Heeeeeere money money money! Moneyyyy where are youuuu???

Yea like i said but people didnt want to listen,

So have you actually tried using V-sync ? I'm also not 100% sure about that PSU.
Does anyone know the brand ? the numbers don't add up to me i think its telling lies.

That PSU is claiming way more Amps on its + 12v rails than is possible. I seriously doubt its up to powering that card properly.

Mactronix :)

Metal-Maniac

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Thanks for all the insight guys. Now to get a little bit off-topic: I've been looking for PSUs and got confused as to what to pick... What are all these?? ATX 12V V2.31 ATX 12V V2.31 EPS 12V V2.92 ATX12V EPS12V ATX12V V2.2 ATX12V V2.2 SSI EPS 12V V2.91 ATX12V V2.3 ATX12V V2.3 EPS 12V V2.92 ATX12V V2.3 SSI EPS 12V V2.91 EPS12V

ATX power supply revisions

ATX12V v2.2

Another minor revision. Added 8-pin connector for PCIe graphics cards, that delivers another 150 watts.

ATX12V v2.3

The most recent revision, effective March 2007. Efficiency recommendations were increased to 80% (with at least 70% efficiency required), and the 12 V minimum load requirement was lowered. Higher efficiency generally results in less power consumption (and less waste heat), and the 80% recommendation brings supplies in line with new Energy Star 4.0 mandates. The reduced load requirement allows compatibility with processors that draw very little power during startup. The absolute over current limit (240VA per rail) is no longer present, enabling 12V line to provide more than 20A per rail.

EPS12V

EPS12V (Entry-Level Power Supply Specification) is defined in SSI (Server System Infrastructure), and used primarily by SMP/multi-core systems such as Core 2, Core i7, Opteron and Xeon. It has a 24-pin main connector (same as ATX12V v2.x), an 8-pin secondary connector, and an optional 4-pin tertiary connector. Rather than include the extra cable, many power supply makers implement the 8-pin connector as two combinable 4-pin connectors to ensure backwards compatibility with ATX12V motherboards.

TRENDING THREADS