Question Monitor Problems?

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello

I recently bought a new monitor:
https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MAG274QRF-QD

I've only been using for the last week or two at most....

I have noticed some problems over time that seem to be getting worse... or maybe I'm just slowly becoming more aware of them?

When it's a black screen (or supposed to be black)... it looks insane/crazy like white smoke/haze/rough velvet that shimmers and moves with the slightly move of your head/eyes.
Eg whole areas of tone change.

I assume it's backlight bleed from what I've read? But it seems to be way more than normal!

And it's not even uniform - it's all blotchy and in certain areas...

I thought about uploading photos but it's really hard to show you on film/photos as it doesn't look exactly the same... so here are some very similar examples instead...

See some images to get an idea of what I'm talking about....
https://www.google.com/search?q=MAG...07CZsQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1707&bih=841&dpr=1.5

And there are two other things that are much more noticeable in everyday use in Windows etc...

There seems to be a really strong backlight bleed or something just below the centre of the screen horizontally left to right - a bar of weird darker colour.

My parents had a Big LED TV that developed very similar linear bands where the backlights were - but that took many years to become a problem!

It's really pronounced and obvious in particular when in normal non gaming stuff especially when using Office or anything light coloured. This isn't right for a brand new screen?

There is another one slightly above the bottom of the screen and another at the top, as well as the two vertical areas on the sides which are really really wide, a very dark gradient of weird darker colour. They are the strongest of all and very wide and dark!

It looks awful and very distracting and warped.

The other thing is harder to describe....

When anything moves on screen - again very pronounced in non gaming .... it's like there is a very bright or inverted (eg super white) ghosting of text etc...

But not just ghosting... it's like it stays where it was for a really long time. Super distinctive and distracting... this is even worse than the banding above.

This isn't exactly the cheapest screen on the market so I did not expect any issues like this.

For reference, I have Windows 11 Pro, it's fully up to date and I've updated all the drivers for my pc parts etc. It's a complete brand new build.

It has ALWAYS been used with my new expensive 2000w Cyberpower UPS.

Not only that I literally turn off the computer at the back and again - literally turn off and unplug the UPS from the wall when I'm not actively using it. I do the same thing with my Smart TV and TV aerial to be extra protective.

So I can tell you it has not been damaged here!

I don't know if this has a fault that just got worse slowly or maybe it got knocked the wrong way in shipping to the store or both? Or maybe the issues didn't kick in until very recently?

Eitherway - I want to get it replaced where I got it... but I wanted to ask you guys about it too?

Surely this isn't normal for a brand new screen?

And the Text Ghosting thing - is there a fix for that or a cause?

Thank you for your help

It is quite hard to tell anything without seeing the problem, so the pictures of YOUR monitor in action would be much more helpful then some random ones. That said, few ideas for you: the first problem sound like the monitor has the Night Vision option enabled. If it is try disabling it and see if it helps. For text ghosting, this also can be reduced by changing some settings, although can't tell you what exactly you need to change. However if the effect is as big as you tell (and I know it is possible, I have same thing on my monitor) then it will probably still be visible even after adjustments.

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
It is quite hard to tell anything without seeing the problem, so the pictures of YOUR monitor in action would be much more helpful then some random ones. That said, few ideas for you: the first problem sound like the monitor has the Night Vision option enabled. If it is try disabling it and see if it helps. For text ghosting, this also can be reduced by changing some settings, although can't tell you what exactly you need to change. However if the effect is as big as you tell (and I know it is possible, I have same thing on my monitor) then it will probably still be visible even after adjustments.

Night vision is not on - just basic settings 165hz etc.

I'll try and get some photos later but it doesn't show up properly on my camera. I posted the images link cause they are very similar for the black issue... but very few photos of the white issue. And odd thing is it's more so Horizontal banding as well as the two very large darker vertical side Gradients.
Again - hard to photograph properly.