Monitor Problems

I have a gateway VX700 17" crt monitor which i have had with my system
since i bought it back in march'99. Over the last few months i have
been having a problem with it. The problem is that every so often the
screen will pulsate, it makes a tick sound and the screen appears to
jump forward and then go back to normal. Sometimes it will jump two or
three times in a row then stop.

Does anyone know what this sort of problem is and is it easily fixed
or is it time for a new monitor?

Thanks in advance

du.

<du@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a gateway VX700 17" crt monitor which i have had with my system
> since i bought it back in march'99. Over the last few months i have
> been having a problem with it. The problem is that every so often the
> screen will pulsate, it makes a tick sound and the screen appears to
> jump forward and then go back to normal. Sometimes it will jump two or
> three times in a row then stop.
>
> Does anyone know what this sort of problem is and is it easily fixed
> or is it time for a new monitor?

Sounds like an intermittent arcing or other problem in the high voltage
supply, possibly arcing within the CRT itself. One possible quick fix
would be to simply clean the thing out - if the insides are full of dust,
that can lead to this sort of problem. Disconnect the monitor from the
AC line, give everything a good chance to discharge (and even then,
be very wary of the monitor's innards) and then simply remove the
case and use a "duster" spray (the canned compressed air sort) or
even just an air hose from a compressor (but not TOO forceful, OK?)
to blow the crud out. Pay particular attention to the area around the
flyback transformer (big thing with a wire leading to the side of the
CRT), that area of the CRT itself, and the CRT neck board and
related connectors. This isn't guaranteed to cure it, but it's something
that's cheap and simple to try and may work.

If a cleaning doesn't help, you likely have a more serious problem that
will call for either professional attention or replacement.

Bob M.

Time to say goodbye to your monitor.

--
DaveW