Monitor purchase help

Bad_Company

Reputable
Aug 17, 2016
Hi guys . I'm not actually looking for an answer in this thread , just opinions an ideas . My current PC has a 2700x , x470 CHVII , 32 Gb @3466, and a 1060.
I am planning to upgrade my GPU in the following months and I am mainly looking for a 2080 or 2080ti . But I also want to upgrade my 60hz 1080p 23" monitor . What I have in mind is a 2k ( would like to be ultrawide ) 144 hz monitor. I am really liking some Asus rog monitors with the above specs , but have read bad reveiews in some articles about the backlight bleed of all the Asus rog monitors etc. I would like to hear some good suggestions that fit my needs ( what I said above 2k, I would like ultrawide , 144hz ,g sync) . Thanks in advance .

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A lot of that information is from the early release of the panels. Demand outstripped supply so much they shipped everything they had. Considering the price, most people expected perfect monitors, but ASUS has other opinions about what constitutes their spec.

Acer, which uses the exact same panels, does typically have less issues, even today. But I don't think actual backlight bleed is too much of an issue these days. 'IPS glow', often mistaken for backlight bleed, is a symptom of the technology. Many people that bought the first run PG279Q were used to TN high refresh displays which have no 'IPS glow'.

If you really do get a RTX 2080 then the PG279Q is a good fit, though there are now cheaper offerings from both Acer, Dell, and I think Lenovo (Legion) now?

FYI I have an initial release PG279Q and mine does suffer from some bleeding in the bottom right corner. It isn't really that noticeable once a game is running, excepting the really dark ones. I had an opportunity to exchange it, but some people went through 4 or 5 and ended up with worse panels. (Basically ASUS was just recycling anything that was sent in to fill demand). The whole experience was somewhat disappointing. That and ASUS seeming lack of interest in having the best equipment anymore has kind of soured me on them.

Back in the day they typically had the highest reviewed motherboards and graphics cards. Now they tend to fall somewhere in the middle. They make more money on their basic products than high end gaming and it shows.

Bad_Company

Reputable
Aug 17, 2016
Thanks for your very informative reply . I have also read about people rma Asus monitors and the new coming with similar problems, so they have to go through this again . It's not fun at all to pay such a high price and then have to send monitors back and forth for replacement. I mean , I have no problem paying the price tag , as long I'm getting what I payed for , and Asus from what I read doesn't seem to really appreciate our money .

So from your answer I get that it would be better to look for an Acer predator maybe with the same specs instead of Asus.

But since the bleed is more of a technology symptom as you say , doesn't this mean every IPS no matter the brand , is prone to the bleed ?

Also I can't seem to find any monitor that suits the ultrawide side of my request . I mean, almost 0 options for untrawide 144+hz and 2k

Note that Acer XB271HU which is the equivalent predator of the rog PG279Q, in my country is only around 50 bucks cheaper. Given the price, i dont think 50 bucks is a deal breaker when im buying a monitor that will most probably stay with me for quite a few years. So lets say that price difference is not an issue between asus and acer.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They don't yet make ultrawide 144hz panels, most are 75hz panels with 100hz overclocking available. (Much like the 144hz/165hz overclocking on the PG279Q) Basically comes down to trading size for speed.

The shiniest monitor on the planet is a 4K 120hz panel (with 144hz overclocking, and it has to sacrifice HDR to do 144hz) It is like $2000 or something.

Let's be clear, blacklight bleed is a manufacturing defect. IPS glow is very normal. Just means the edges of the screen will be artificially bright. When it creeps into random uneven spots or is truly discolored is when it is considerd backlight bleed.

ASUS has a set of specifications about uniformity and of course working pixel count. If it meets that spec, they ship it, even if the end result is ugly.

I've heard less problems from Acer. Mind they were the first to the market using the Optronics AHVA panel to make the original XB270HU. XB271HU came out at the same time as the PG279Q. I waited on the ASUS because I found the Acer to have a distasteful chassis. Now it has kind of flipped the other way.

Here is my panel in the dark. Mind I don't run it in the dark and the games wash it out mostly.

https://imgur.com/c8kzwdA

Now, this was with my older smartphone. Pictures you see later on such as these may be with a camera that does more to bring out the color.

https://imgur.com/search?q=pg279q
https://imgur.com/gallery/GSv7lAf

You can see that is somewhat commonly reported. One thing to do is never perform this test, then you probably won't notice it unless it is really bad:
https://imgur.com/gallery/63md3

Acer is not immune: https://imgur.com/gallery/sOASx

Bad_Company

Reputable
Aug 17, 2016
Gosh I feel I don't have to make a right choice with this purchase , I just have to get lucky . I'm okay with loosing lucky stuff like silicon lottery on my CPU and not overclocking so well but this , damn , it's major , it's a monitor.

On the other hand I'm not really liking the idea of the TN ...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Exactly what I struggled with. Of course I paid the launch price of $800, so it hurt a little bit more. But I'm quite pleased with it nonetheless. My GPU is a little undersized for it, but that was more or less the plan. Going to hold out for Nvidia's next process shrink. I find the RTX cards to be way too expensive. Only worthwhile upgrade for me would be the 2080 or 2080ti. That would be $150 more than I have ever spent on a GPU (And I have bought some silly ones)

Bad_Company

Reputable
Aug 17, 2016
Pretry shitty situation lol .

I'm just going to go then with the best looking for my taste monitor and pray it's good. I tend towards the Asus one. I like it's aesthetics. I'll also do some research on how much bleed does each company consider normal for the product , so I might have better chances of getting a good one at first , or an RMA if the one they send me sucks hard.

I'm also going to underpower my monitor for a while at least since I'm not going to buy a gpu and the monitor at the same time . They could possible come with 2-3 months difference . I think that my 1060 with gsync will be at least playable and decent for these 2-3 months . That way I will have full knowledge by the time of the GPU purchase on the rtx performance and price , and if its not worth it, by then it will be easy to get a 1080ti for half the price of rtx . Heck even now 1080ti prices are not bad.

TRENDING THREADS