[Monitor question] Choosing of LCD monitor

Xen_08

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Hello,
I need a help choosing a LCD monitor. I looking for a 22-24" monitor, with good color reproduction and good contrast for watching movies. The price should be under 450$.

Xen_08

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
This monitor looks great, but can you suggest and other monitors with IPS technology.

Also I wondered, is LED LCD display are better than ordinary LCD display. Should I look mainly for LED displays.

The only other one is the HP ZR24W. Here's a review:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr24w.htm

There's also the smaller Dell U2211H

It is simply LED backlight instead of florescent (CCFL) backlight. They use less power, but they are also edge lit instead of having a full backlight array which CCFLs use. That results in LCD monitors being:

1. Thinner
2. Lighter
3. Uses less power.

The downside are:

1. Relies on a material to spread out the light evenly and reflecting it out to the user. If there are imperfections in that reflective material then it can lead to uneven backlighting. CCFL backlighting can also have some backlight uniformity issues too.
2. Some people complain on certain models, the light has a slight bluish tint.
3. LED backlighting is only being used in TN panel monitor at the moment which are known for not being color accurate (but good enough for the average user), and TN panel colors fade/shift the more off center you are.

Alatheia00

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Unless you are sitting not directly infront of your pc all the time, than there is no need for an IPS panel, I have a Dell SP2309W with a 2048 x 1156 res higher than HD and the picture is absolutely amazing. Obviously there are better panels for your price range but I really wanted an IPS panel aswell but at the moment they are just priced to high and the response rate is too slow for gaming 6 ms on the 24" Dell ultrasharp so apart from videos and graphical work its not the best all rounder

LED backlit panels seem to be the middle ground at the moment I would go for more screen real estate than an IPS panel unless you are into photography and even then my monitor has 92% colour gamet so is that 8% really going to be a deal breaker.

The CNET reviews are great for videos of monitors actually functioning and they are not biased and present all pros and cons of a particular brand also check out digitalversus a french site which has excellent monitor reviews.