Monitor Question

G

Hello all well I just got the ne gforce 4 from nvidia it's one of the lower end models. My question is when I now play games or switch programs my monitor clicks this click is an annoying click which I do not know how to turn it off. I am not sure if it is in the bios or if it hardware or software problems. Here is what I have KDS 19" monitor, Epox 8k7a Mobo, athlon xp1800 cpu, 51 of ddr mem, geforce 4 mx440 graphics card. One of the games that I play is fs2002. When I click on the fs2002 icon the screen goes blank then the monitor clicks then the opening fs2002 screen comes up.

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
It is common for some monitors to make clicking sounds during startup and resolution changes. As the computer boots it goes through a number of resolution changes. Dos mode is typically 640 x 480 windows splash screen then goes to something like 720 x 400 then when windows desktop comes up it goes to whatever resolution you set example 1024 x 768. Some monitors use relays to switch high voltage during resolution changes thus you hear a clicking noise. Typically this is nothing to worry about and is a normal operation of the monitor. If the monitor is making clicking sounds and it is not in a resolution change transition, this may be an indication of a problem.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
hey jim, i have a question for you. you often reply to monitor questions with some very informative replies. i was just wondering if you knew all your stuff from experience in the field(how many years) and/or higher education(if so where and what degrees)? i know that i ahve posted a lot under crt monitors and i was just curious how you came about learning all that you know.

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Retilej

Both, I studied electronics in collage back in the late 70’s early 80’s. School teaches the basics and is always way behind the industry, however the basic formulas do not change and you need to know the fundamentals before you can apply them to newer technologies.

I have been with Cornerstone for about 16 years and I’m one of the original employees. We started out designing video cards and software, eventually expanding into monitors. Prior to Cornerstone I worked for MIPS, before they where purchased by Silicon Graphics. I had two other jobs with companies that are no longer in the electronics business. Exxon bring the most notable.

Sounds like I’m writing my resume.

Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com