Monitor Question

brun0

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
I have a 19 inch 1080p Samsung TV and I was wondering.. since it is 19 inches… could I use it as my computer monitor? or will there still be drawbacks even though its only 19 inches?

My computer will most likely have a 7850 GPU

Thanks in advance,
Bruno

P.S. sorry for the wrong sub-category, there was no correct choice :p

Solution

you can, but you may or may not experience a few hiccups say poor image quality due to the lack of support for 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, and most likely input lag.

the former fortunately has a fix, which basically disables the HDMI Audio, assuming you're using HDMI to connect to the TV; http://www.avsforum.com/t/1381724/official-4-4-4-chroma-subsampling-thread

the latter you'll have to try and change the...

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
yes, but the image maynot be as good as a real monitor.

u can give it a try, but why did you spend so much money building what probably is a gaming computer with a $200+ video card, and then have an inferior way to view those images?

Hazle

Distinguished

you can, but you may or may not experience a few hiccups say poor image quality due to the lack of support for 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, and most likely input lag.

the former fortunately has a fix, which basically disables the HDMI Audio, assuming you're using HDMI to connect to the TV; http://www.avsforum.com/t/1381724/official-4-4-4-chroma-subsampling-thread

the latter you'll have to try and change the picture mode to say, Game or PC mode, which basically disables any extra tv features that resulted from the lag. it is however not 100% guaranteed, especially with Samsung as their TVs are somewhat notorious for horrible input lag in some forums i've read through.

if all works well from there, worst off, the pixels on the tv may seem large to you, which can either be remedied by sitting back a few inches away, or getting a PC monitor.

Solution

brun0

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
aaa i see, thank you though! and the reason is I won this hdtv a year ago at a raffle so I was hoping to save on the monitor and spend it somewhere else

Thanks again