Question Monitor randomly blackscreens, fps and power drops on GPU in multiple games, MSI Armor RX570 8GB

Dec 24, 2021
My pc specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Black
GPU: MSI Armor Radeon RX570 8GB GDDR5
Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M Plus
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 (2 x 4GB)(2 x 8GB) (24 GB Total)
PSU: EVGA Bronze 500W
SSD: HP M700 120GB
HHD: 3 x 2TB Western Digital Blue 7200 RPM
DVD Drive: ASUS 24x DVD-RW SATA Drive
Monitor: ViewSonic XG2705 27 Inch 1080p 144Hz
DisplayPort Cable: IVANKY DisplayPort 2.0, 2K@144Hz 4K@60Hz

Built in February 2019.

I am about to pull my hair out, I've been dealing with this issue for a few weeks now and have no idea what's causing it. When I bump my desk when I get up my screen goes black. I moved the cable around and figured out that it moving is what was causing the issue. Sometimes I have to change display ports on the GPU to get it to come back on. It is a little loose on the PC side, completely tight on the monitor side. I also randomly get an error from my Radeon software that tells me it can't make a good connection so it can't display the proper output quality (144Hz 1080p). When I switch ports it goes away.

The other issue, when I'm playing graphically demanding games, my FPS will drop out frequently, like every few minutes. It only lasts for about 6 seconds each instance. Example is, when I play red dead 2 online, my FPS averages about 40 with all the settings on medium. The GPU is running at around 65 Celsius and using 80-82 watts of power. My FPS will randomly drop to 12 or so and I noticed as it does this, the power draw changes from the 80s down to the 50s, usually around 55 watts or so. When I'm playing esports games, such as CS:GO, I never have an issue. It averaged 66 FPS with everything as high as it can go. My GPU should be able to play RDR2O on high settings without a hitch, but can barely handle medium it seems like.

RDR2O also crashed once every couple hours or so completely. It pulls up a graphics driver error on my Radeon software, says something about how a graphics driver stopped working, and Rockstar just has an error saying ERR-GFX-STATE. I think this is a game error rather than a GPU issue though.

What I've tried:
  • Rolling back GPU Drivers
  • Overclocking GPU and CPU (no change so went back to no overclock on both)
  • Changing how many cores RDR2O uses
  • Set everything to high performance instead of balanced or power saving
Does anyone have any ideas? I'm so frustrated with it right now. My GPU has 3 months left on the warranty so I'm also wondering if I should just RMA it just in case or not. Thank you in advance.

Dec 24, 2021
Edit: I also just noticed that my GPU Utilization is at 100% even thought I'm not doing anything graphically demanding at the moment. I wonder what's up with that?

Dec 24, 2021
Done a scan for all the viruses I can think of, came up with nothing.

GPU never gets any hotter than 71C at the very top end, usually runs around 60 under full load.

TrufflesG

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
If able, try the GPU in another system to rule out something else in that PC as the problem.
Check your Windows reliability history and Event viewer to see if there are any clues there.

Pull the card out, clean the contacts, clean any dust or dirt from inside the PC.
The fact that it does it when you bump your desk tells me there is a connectivity issue. Try a different video cable.