[SOLVED] External Monitor randomly flickers Off and On ?

Jan 21, 2022
I have been using this laptop since I bought it last spring, and I plugged in my external monitor to the laptop without any problems. But starting last fall, the external monitor started to flicker on and off. I didn't find it too annoying at that time as it didn't happen that often, and it would happen only when gaming. However, the external monitor flickering on and off has been happening more often and may even happen when I'm not playing any games after playing long gaming sessions. I'm not sure whether the problem may be the monitor or the computer, and I don't have another computer at the moment to test with. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?

Things I've tried and did not work:
  • Switching the monitor output from the HDMI that runs from the CPU/iGPU to the USB-C running from the dGPU
  • Changing the HDMI cable
  • Changing color and brightness settings on the monitor
  • Reinstalling both CPU and GPU drivers
  • Reinstalling Windows
I've also plugged in a drawing tablet with a display to both the iGPU and dGPU, and it does not flicker even after intensive gaming. I've also run both monitors at the same time and switched ports as well. The Samsung monitor would always flicker while the drawing tablet would not.

Games I've tested where it does or does not happen:
  • Dishonored 2: Very often, not instantly
  • Horizon Zero Dawn: Very often, not instantly
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Very often in late-game
  • Stellaris: Very often in late-game
  • Insurgency Sandstorm: Happens rarely
  • Grand Theft Auto 5: Happens rarely
  • Counter-Strike GO: Does not happen
  • Genshin Impact: Does not happen
  • Minecraft: Does not happen
External Monitor:
Samsung SyncMaster P2770
Has 50, 59.94, and 60hz options for refresh rates. I run my games at 60hz.
Frequently used monitor since about 2012-2013.

Laptop Specs [ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 GA401]:
  • AMD Ryzen™ 9 4900HS Mobile Processor with Radeon Graphics 3.00 GHz (base clocked)
  • NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 with Max-Q Design
  • 16GB RAM
  • Windows 10 Version 21H1 (Issue happened before this update)
Note: This is not the AniMe Matrix™ display version of the laptop

Edit: Added Windows 10 version, additional monitor info, and other info.

Last edited:
Solution
Just tested my Samsung monitor on an older computer and the flickering also happens, yet not nearly as often as my laptop for the same game. Confirming that my issue is most likely the monitor. And I also had the smart idea of searching my exact monitor with the problem on Google: "syncmaster p2770 monitor turns off and on"

I found a link and others that had similar circumstances: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ns-off-then-back-on-almost-instantly.2594446/ The issue was often either the PSU for the monitor or some internal component.

To be honest, I'm not gonna get the monitor repaired or PSU replaced since I've been using the monitor for almost 10 years. I wouldn't mind getting a...
Jan 23, 2022
I really hope we can find a way to fix this, I was looking up info to see if anyone else had this issue and came across this, glad to see I'm not alone. I am also experiencing this and I do not play any games! I get a split second of black screen or color changing flicker multiple times throughout the day. I've tested the Nvidia Drivers and the graphics driver directly from ASUS (using DDU inbetween versions). I am also connecting my primary monitor through the left USB-C port and also an additional monitor through the HDMI.

I think we need to move this since it is definitely not related to your monitor considering I'm using a Viewsonic and LG brand and experience the exact same issue.

Jan 21, 2022
I am also connecting my primary monitor through the left USB-C port and also an additional monitor through the HDMI.

I think we need to move this since it is definitely not related to your monitor considering I'm using a Viewsonic and LG brand and experience the exact same issue.

Does both of your screens flicker or just one of them? Because only my Samsung monitor flickers while the laptop's and the drawing tablet's screens do not flicker at all. I still think it's possibly a monitor issue since it's my Samsung monitor having it affected.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022
Does both of your screens flicker or just one of them? Because only my Samsung monitor flickers while the laptop's and the drawing tablet's screens do not flicker at all. I still think it's possibly a monitor issue since it's my Samsung monitor having it affected.
Only the monitor connected directly to dGPU through left side USB-C. My laptop screen or LG monitored connected through HDMI does not flicker.

Jan 21, 2022
Just tested my Samsung monitor on an older computer and the flickering also happens, yet not nearly as often as my laptop for the same game. Confirming that my issue is most likely the monitor. And I also had the smart idea of searching my exact monitor with the problem on Google: "syncmaster p2770 monitor turns off and on"

I found a link and others that had similar circumstances: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ns-off-then-back-on-almost-instantly.2594446/ The issue was often either the PSU for the monitor or some internal component.

To be honest, I'm not gonna get the monitor repaired or PSU replaced since I've been using the monitor for almost 10 years. I wouldn't mind getting a new one with better color and refresh rate.

Sorry for the trouble, hopefully you can find a solution or confirmation to your issue.

Solution